Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Apsll Master Topic - Strategies and Stocks II Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Apsll
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:27:02 AM

Alright then. A fresh start.

To Agm32, Lets just do the forum a favor and stop bothering each other. I like to post my charts before the fact. I post why I like it and how I found it. It is very easy to post a chart after it has made a good run and say that you made a good profit. I can do that all day long.

I am glad that David liked your chart and I too would love to see you sharing your stock picks with all of us so that we can watch the results together. I am sorry for the RVBD thread and I would like to put it all in the past.

I am still holding RVBD and we will see where it leads. I admit that the scenario you showed us on the 5 minute chart would be a great trade. If you do have good fortune playing that trend break and not waiting for confirmation than that is good stuff. Not my style but it is yours and I should not judge.

Ok I hope that we can close this chapter.....................................................

The chart that I posted Yesterday for DIN is doing well and The 5 minute chart looks like a buy right now... That is just my opinion.........

I will add some charts tonight after the closing bell.

Good trading today everyone.

Apsll. 
tobydad
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:37:39 AM

Apsll, et al; I'm going to, one last time, beseech you to ignore those that find fault. I am not taking sides by this comment, I'm simply saying that you will find the problem to wane and, eventually, disappear if you can find it within yourself to give no response whatsoever no matter what is said. I know it's not easy, but it's the truth. I tell you this; if you respond, the problem will never end. The solution here is tantamount to what Jesus taught, "If you want to find your life, you must lose it." Only when you cease defending yourself will others find you impossible to defeat. Very quickly you will discover immeasurable strength in your ability to rise above it all. And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread. God's best to all...which He displayed when He gave His life for ours.
davidjohnhall
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:56:56 AM

The solution here is tantamount to what Jesus taught, "If you want to find your life, you must lose it." 

I cannot agree more.  Some have the luxury of deciding to lose their life .  Others find that life will lose it for them if they spend too much time travelling down the wrong path.  I went through a combination of both and found that the things that trully matter in life and the feelings and experiences really worth having won't come from winning an argument on a message board, they won't even come from a winning trade or a slew of them.  Good luck all.  Let's keep the discussion positive, full of ideas, and with the intention of creating the best experience for all involved!

Thanks Tobydad!    

diceman
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:19:46 PM
If someone complains.
Zip it.

How weak do you think they look to us?

How many trading pros spend their day thinking of Apsll?
My guess would be none.

Thanks
diceman
rverm44820
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:47:04 PM
why dont you guys post something thats useful.
like what indicators & conditions you create to determine when a stock is going to change directions.
i dont time to read your useless arguments.
there is not enough good info on this website.
tobydad
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:10:10 PM

rverm44820; you don't have time. Interesting. Have you done any research into the thousands, yes, thousands of posts that have been put up here with enough information to keep you busy for years learning? Have you given the slightest thought to the many thousands of hours that have been freely given in typing alone with no request for anything in return so others could learn and grow? Not to mention, the hundreds of thousands of hours of learning, groaning, sweating, hand-wringing, head-banging, tooth-gnashing, dog-kicking and keyboard-bashing that it took to be able to know enough to spend those thousands of hours typing "...something that's useful"? Who said you had to read this thread anyway? If you don't like what it says, you are welcome to go to another one. By the way, did you read Apsll's opening post? Did you not notice that he posted "...something thats useful.", as you have demanded? Oh, and I've read your 29 posts...yes, well, we'll just leave that alone for now. In closing, I have "...something that's useful" for you; JFK, 35th President of the United States once said, "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." So I have two thoughts for you, first, trying being grateful rather than complaining, and second, try living it, if "...there is not enough good info on this website", then add some yourself. Albert Schweitzer, German medical missionary and Nobel Peace Prize Winner, said "Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it is the only thing." You want more "good info" on this site? Then set a good example for other new members, go study something of value and add it.
tobydad
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:15:48 PM

Wow! Quite a rant, huh? Look, rverm44820, here's the main thing. It appears to me that you are looking for easy fixes; "Push this button and money comes out here". I'm not angry with you; but, please understand. If that's your thinking, and I'd bet you half my portfolio (all $11.00 of it), that it is, then the markets are going to eat you up and spit you out in tiny pieces. You don't think so? Read enough of my posts and find out that I lost 6 figures to the left of the decimal with that kind of thinking. Davidjohnhall, Diceman, funnymony, Apsll, Mammon, myself in my own quirky way, we're all here to help along with a long list of other contributors. (Ben2k9, Johnlc, where do I stop?) If you want to know "...something that's useful", ask a question that's meaningful. To do that, you'll have to start with something other than "...like what indicators & conditions you create to determine when a stock is going to change directions". You think we can't see what that's about; even though you can't yet?
davidjohnhall
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:30:11 PM

Wow, agreeing with Tobydad could become a full time job for me!  Along with quoting diceman.  

There is absolutely nothing I can add to what tobydad said so perfetcly in his trademark insightful way.  It's rare that I come across something that isn't useful here.  Thanks again tobydad (if agreeing with you is my full time job, then thanking you is my parttime second job!).  

David John Hall
johnlc
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:19:31 PM

TD:   thanks for the praise, but I'm the biggest hoe handle here.   If I did half a many smart things that i do dumb things, I'd be up there with Warren Buffett.       Just here to learn from you smart guys.    Trying to keep APS on his toes, you know, no rest for the wicked. 

whaynes
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:25:10 PM
tobydad --great answer thanks all the guys ==you listed
johnlc
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:35:10 PM
 up to 6 martini's
tobydad
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:41:17 PM

Bigblock, when I try to help people, I am sticking to my Bible. And, you're right, if I had to choose between my meager abilities and my Bible, I must choose my Bible everyday. I've proven how poor I am without it. I thank you for spotlighting it, it is the lamp to my feet and light to my path. You are also right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And I gave mine to try to help someone spend the time learning so they would not make the same foolish mistakes I made. If I had only had someone to set me straight, I would not have made such terrible mistakes. Thank you for helping me stay straight. I appreciate your insights.
johnlc
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:50:59 PM
looks like the mods dumped BB's posts again.   oh well
diceman
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:04:22 PM
"looks like the mods dumped BB's posts again.   oh well"

Can you blame them for cleaning a litter box?

Thanks
diceman
johnlc
Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:48:25 PM

Too bad, I really think that BB could offer some helpful insights to day trading.   Maybe not giving away methods, but just tips to beware of during certain times or circumstances.      

I don't follow other sites, other than Bulkowski's, but BB must follow APS's posts all over.  And for some reason he just has some personal vendetta.    

Apsll
Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 7:25:04 AM

You are correct about that John. He is obsessed with trying to berate me. The wrath of Kahn comes to mind. He wants to go on hating me.

It all started in my early years on the forum. Bigblock was on vacation so I had only rumors of his fame at that time. I was actually looking foward to meeting him. The experience was anti climactic to say the least. I soon discovered that he was not what I expected.  Then I whent and did the un-thinkable. I challenged him and called him out for his rude behavior.

The rest is history. Looking back I wish that I never disturbed such a hornets nest.
Apsll
Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 8:34:03 AM

Ok it looks like the markets are going to open on a negative bias. I agree with the worden report that we have one more leg to the downside. My friend "Filthylucre" is an optimist and is looking for us to head up from here. 

I have concocted a mock chart on the SPX that illustrates how I think that things will evolve. Of course the SPX will not follow my vision but lets see if myself or my good friend is correct. I see us going down to the 1030 range. The candles within the yellow box represents the path that I foresee. More than likely I am way off.

Opinions are very welcome.

rstarnes1225
Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 8:40:39 AM
QUOTE (johnlc)

Too bad, I really think that BB could offer some helpful insights to day trading.   Maybe not giving away methods, but just tips to beware of during certain times or circumstances.      

I don't follow other sites, other than Bulkowski's, but BB must follow APS's posts all over.  And for some reason he just has some personal vendetta.    

Johnlc I don't fully understand all this history however as you can see I am new to Worden. 

Bulkowski caught my eye because in addition to studying Tobydad's methods and watching what you guys do - I am studying the book Charting Patterns by Bulkowski. I did find a High Tight Flag for OFI last night that broke up.  

Any insight you would have is much appreciated - thanks!
Apsll
Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 8:50:48 PM

Here is the final updates for my CCI20 list of 10 charts price percent change 5 day I did add one more stock to the list - DIN 

The only major failure appears to be CATM it just seems to have fallen appart, proving that CCI is not the holy grail. I still like the results though as you can look to the percent change numbers that appear next to their corresponding ticker symbols.
johnlc
Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:51:12 PM
 Rstarnes:    Yeah, Mr. Bulkowski is very generous in posting all that free info on his site.   To be able to go there and pick patterns with hi % of whatever you are looking for is great.  Plus the fundamental stuff that he has listed as the best choices to look for, and then to be able to take that and put it on TC's charts is a big plus.    A quick glance and we're able to see how a co. is doing in the important $ figures is extremely useful.  IMO.      Learning from Mr. B.   sure can't be a bad thing.    

That was a pretty good pattern of a high tight flag.     Volume a little low on that stock. 
johnlc
Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:56:38 PM

Rstarnes:    I hate doing this because everyone can see how dumb i am.   Here are what maybe considered a high flag, don't know how tight to be considered they are.   Also some things i also consider, higher volume stocks, support  level during the flag period,  resistance level months back,  book value per share,  average true range, short interest ratio, p/e.   
RCII,   BKS,   STE,   PLT,   POOL,   RBC,   RMD   

Maybe some of the smart guys will help out.

Apsll
Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:36:27 PM

I have focused a lot on finding healthy charts that are still in the bottom forming phase, I have written quit some time ago about my theory that it is within this "bottom forming phase" that the smart money is laying down their foundations to build a strong support structure. or rather a platform from wich to launch some nice rallies. I called them Bonanza Bottoms. 

I have noticed that in the strong sectors right now these bottoms are all over the place leading me to believe that the markets are planning to move with the Bulls very soon.

Here is a list of 32 charts that fit this profile. Let me know if anyone else is seeing these things also. That is what this thread is for, to share strategies and charts. I will like to revist this post to see how many of these 32 stocks whent on to great highs.

I have revisted another clasic topic that my friend Davidjohnhall started a while back in mid March concerning "penny stocks". I know that almost every stock on our lists whent on to do great things. We got lucky David and I. We made these lists in March right before this Bull rally. Here is the link to that thread. - 
http://forums.worden.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=38897

I will also stay with my list of the top 11 CCI20 charts to see what path they follow.

Anyway here is my list of 32 clasic Bonanza Bottoms... Lets see where they may go. Do some analysis on them and let me know what you all think.
dmyers
Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:40:07 PM
Thanks for all the hard work.

-Don
Apsll
Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 7:54:55 AM

Hi everyone. I am sorry about posting so much stuff. The reality has creeped over me the last week or so as to the gift that we are soon to be given. On the cusp of the corrections reversal point, coupled with the fact that I am just seeing so many bottom charts it is just overwhelming to me. I have not felt this way since August of 2006, just as the May market correction was coming to an end.

Any way I am going to post a quick video to show what can come from such bottom charts. It is a crude video but check it out. My camtasia membership has run out so I just slaped a "Jing" vid together...
www.screencast.com/users/castleme21/folders/Jing/media/3fb52f5f-e28e-4178-b23d-9d7772d4bdd8
rstarnes1225
Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 8:32:59 AM
johnlc Thank you for the help. After I saw your original post then I found rmd which APSII confirms later in his list. Currently, I'm paper trade practise the HTF,s just check it out because Biglowski gave some rather high percentages.  It's a learning process.

Again johnlc thank you for your help and input, TobyDad thank you and apsII and everyone else  is just doggone awesome.  Thanks for the links to previous post. They make great study material.

I hear the wind of FAVOR blowing over this forum!

Thank you
johnlc
Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 8:34:55 PM
rstarnes:     you do know how to add a bunch of fundamental stuff to your TC charts,so that with a glance you can see all different kinds of info that you specify.
Apsll
Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:36:33 AM

Yesterday was a day for the break-out... I will not show them all because there were lots of them. I will not even show the Bottom charts right now as I feel that there time is soon but not for today. I have a list of 20 charts that represent some nice looking Momentum Stocks.

It looks like the opening bell will be bullish again today so good luck every one....

rstarnes
Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:31:44 AM
QUOTE (johnlc)
rstarnes:     you do know how to add a bunch of fundamental stuff to your TC charts,so that with a glance you can see all different kinds of info that you specify.

Yes - thanks for asking - that is a good question
Apsll
Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:14:56 PM

The results for the CCI20 list (price increase 10 days) are in. The list of 11 stocks from 2 weeks ago are posted in my following chart list. I made a custom indicator to show in dollar amounts the difference in price up or down from 10 trading days ago.

9 out of the 11 stocks did very well. I am not sure if Jas is still interested in this test (admitedly very basic and selective). I am impresed and convinced that kens strategy for using the CCI20 indicator is sound.
tobydad
Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 8:49:52 PM

Apsll, have a look at SIGA.
johnlc
Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 9:54:32 PM
isn't that kind of high off the bottom, for you TD?    
jas0501
Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 12:02:46 AM
QUOTE (Apsll)

I am not sure if Jas is still interested in this test (admitedly very basic and selective). I am impresed and convinced that kens strategy for using the CCI20 indicator is sound.

I would love to explore this, but it isn't clear how you generated e list to begin with from a PCF or realcode standpoint. I attempted to survey "CCI20 > 100 and higher than the previous high" but couldn't get the 5 or 10 day performance to exceed a random trade survey.

Refresh my memory... How did you arrive at the list? Was it a visual qualification or can it be expreseed as a logical expression?

Apsll
Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:06:05 AM

Hi Tobydad, I love the price action (after a small pull-back). 

On 2/11/10 it had a nice fit on the "Tobydad Set-Up".  You would be siting on a nice 10% gain. I thought that volume was a bit low for the price movment so I pluged in a 10 day VPCI and the indicator shows a negative divergence. I then switched over to a weekly chart and noticed that price was consolidating in a tight range, so I drew a trend line above the highs at $7.00

If price can break the trend line then I like this stock even better. Good find TD....

Jas how are you? I did uncover the list using CCI20. I started out with about 20 or so stocks that got a hit on the indicator. There would have been more but I was using multiple filters for volume and fundimentals. Even from the list of 20 I discarded 9 charts. So to answer your question, the list was visual/discresionary. And I am not so sure that my discretion can be expressed logically.....

Thanks for your participation. I am still willing to work with you if you decide to continue further.

Thanks Apsll.
Apsll
Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:55:18 AM

Sorry Tobydad for being slow on the take. You were refering to CCI20 and how SIGA looks.

I believe that we do have a hit on the indicator as depicted in the following chart. I still do expect a pull-back but in 10 days I will see how well it did. And I might even jump into this one after it corrects.

Tobydad is this a stock that you might have an interest in trading? 

By the way TD, our old friend GNBT is forming another one of its famous triangles.

Here is the CCI20 chart for SIGA.
tobydad
Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:38:03 AM

John; I was posting SIGA because it looked like it coincided with the action Apsll has been referring to. I've already been in and out of it several times. But I'm liking the stuff that Apsll has been adding to my thinking. I like Agm32's and funnymony's comments as well. I'm learning alot.
Apsll
Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:25:46 PM

Tobydad & Jas. You might be interested in my new little toy. I was sifting through some Bollinger Band threads and came up with some cool stuff. I know at one point that we all talked about the Bollinger Band Pinch. I even think that I used this indicator before. It is to measure the volatility in the Bollinger Bands. The lower value of the indicator means lower volatility and the higher the value of course means higher volatility in the Bands. Here is the formula for a custom indicator - 

ABS(AVGC10-AVGC20) set it up in one of the lower windows. You will see it in the chart as a brown line and on the value section I have a red box.

Next I use two formulas to construct the Bollinger bands in the top window on price. The formula for Top Band is - 

AVGC21+2*SQR(((C-AVGC21)^2 +(C1-AVGC21)^2 +(C2-AVGC21)^2 +(C3-AVGC21)^2 +(C4-AVGC21)^2 +(C5-AVGC21)^2 +(C6-AVGC21)^2 +(C7-AVGC21)^2 +(C8-AVGC21)^2 +(C9-AVGC21)^2 +(C10-AVGC21)^2 +(C11-AVGC21)^2 +(C12-AVGC21)^2 +(C13-AVGC21)^2 +(C14-AVGC21)^2 +(C15-AVGC21)^2 +(C16-AVGC21)^2 +(C17-AVGC21)^2 +(C18-AVGC21)^2 +(C19-AVGC21)^2 +(C20-AVGC21)^2)/20)

The formula for the bottom of the band is -

AVGC21-2*SQR(((C-AVGC21)^2 +(C1-AVGC21)^2 +(C2-AVGC21)^2 +(C3-AVGC21)^2 +(C4-AVGC21)^2 +(C5-AVGC21)^2 +(C6-AVGC21)^2 +(C7-AVGC21)^2 +(C8-AVGC21)^2 +(C9-AVGC21)^2 +(C10-AVGC21)^2 +(C11-AVGC21)^2 +(C12-AVGC21)^2 +(C13-AVGC21)^2 +(C14-AVGC21)^2 +(C15-AVGC21)^2 +(C16-AVGC21)^2 +(C17-AVGC21)^2 +(C18-AVGC21)^2 +(C19-AVGC21)^2 +(C20-AVGC21)^2)/20)

Make sure that you plot using price scale. The reason for the formulas instead of the standard indicator is so that I can sort price compared to the bottom indicator. This will show me stocks that are close to the bottom band of the indicator. Combine that with a low value on the volatility indicator and now you have something.

I have an example below in a chart SPA.. You can see that price is close to the bottom of the Band and voatility is low also. That could mean that a move is near.

Check it out. I thought that this was the right thread to post this in. I am going to work with it some more and see if I canot design a strategy......
Apsll
Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:27:06 PM

Oh ya, the negative numbers in yellow mean that price is actually bellow the band....
Apsll
Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 5:12:41 PM

Did anyone see what happened with MIL today???

Any lucky jackpot winners out there that was holding this one?

rstarnes
Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 10:38:30 PM
Apsll Thanks for the indicator (spa) and I got it to work. Then I added Sochastic 5,3,3 (standard setting that came up) in the middle with the volitality indicator. WOW! 

Maybe it was the colors but they move inversely to each other and I believe I can get us to seeing moves off TD chart set up quicker.

Only ran about 10-15 charts thru it but at this point I am going to keep using it along with TD chart set-up.
Please let me know if you think I'm on the right track?

Thanks!!
Apsll
Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 11:14:03 PM

Rstarnes, I am glad that you are experimenting with the indicators but I would suggest keeping the Stochastic indicator in a seperate window than the volatility indicator as they both produce important numeric values. I am pretty sure that by default you will only see the values for the first indicator ploted in that window. ( althought the sorts will still work and both indicators can be viewed visually as well as by their values).

Lastly these two indicators do not run inversly. If you look at SPA in late December you will see that they are both heading north. That is because price made large gains with a wide price swing to the upside, this would cause both indicators to move up in their perspective values.

I am still working with the template my self. Keep at it, it is always good to share your progress with others that are looking at the same thing.

Thanks Apsll.