Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: khollis98
About
User Name: khollis98
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Create PCFs and EasyScans to find moving average crossovers
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 4:17:14 PM
QUOTE (Bruce_L)
khollis98,
I'm updated through 07/19/2007 Market Close. On a Daily Chart:

SMA5 xUp SMA 10:
GENZ:
Between 7/18 and 7/19
INFY:
Between 7/17 and 7/18
VMED:
Between 7/17 and 7/19
ORCL:
Between 7/16 and 7/17

If this is not reflected on your charts, you may want to take a look at the third topic referenced in my Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:57:35 AM ET post (Things to check if your moving averages don't "seem right" or "seem to match"). The most likely causes would be having one of the two Moving Averages be of the other Moving Average instead of Price, using an Exponential setting for one or both of the Moving Averages or using a Time Frame other than Daily.

I don't know what the problem is. Out of those 21 hits, several of the charts looked good. Meaning, the 5 day sma appeared to xover the 10 day sma within the last 5 days & in the upward direction. Again, several looked correct. I just reported those stocks as examples because they sort of jumped off the screen as being not valid.

If my charts were setup incorrectly, then most if not all stocks retrieved from the scan wouldn't look right. Correct? BTW, I'm definitely set for "Daily".

I updated today & once again, some of the stocks picked up by the scan seem to match, and others do not.

Guess it could still be pilot error, but I just don't know........

KH.
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:48:13 PM
QUOTE (Bruce_L)
khollis98,
You may want to take a look at the second topic referenced in my Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:57:35 AM ET post (it's right above your post).

Yes, I looked at the post. I updated Telechart today after market close. I created a pcf w/ the following forumla (from that posting) & setup an easy scan to scan the Nasdaq 100. Got 21 hits.

Short crossing Long: In last 5 days, Up, Simple (short:5 long: 10)
AVGC5>AVGC10 AND (AVGC5.1<AVGC10.1 OR AVGC5.2<AVGC10.2 OR AVGC5.3<AVGC10.3 OR AVGC5.4<AVGC10.4 OR AVGC5.5<AVGC10.5)

But in reviewing the charts of those stocks selected by the scan, I noticed some are "out of bounds" of the scan. For instance, GENZ 5 day SMA crossed over the 10 day SMA back on July 6th and the xover is in the DOWN direction! Plus that's more than 5 days ago...The exact same situation applies to INFY, same date of the xover (July 6th). VMED & ORCL 5 day x'd over 10 day (up direction) back on July 2ond, but it shows up in the scan results. That is also farther back in time than 5 trading days. Changed the easy scan to S&P 500, & found a few more that didn't appear to match pcf criteria.

Seems like there are some bugs somewhere in there...maybe w/the easy scan function & not the formula itself.

Am I interpreting the results correctly?

KennyH.
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:13:34 PM
Hi folks. I am new to TC. I watched the video on building MA crossovers. Didn't go too well for me.

Nevertheless, that experience prompts me to offer a suggestion:

Why not create about 10 or 15 different sample MA crossovers within Easy Scan & include them in the product?

Since I'm new, I'd rather spend my time searching for stocks instead of messin' around with advanced stuff like creating formulas. If you did offer a collection of defaults, then maybe I could figure out how to modify them & save them under a different name.

Of course, you can't create all possible combinations, but having bunch of default samples sure would help at my current level of expertise. Maybe these are downloadable from somewhere?

Oh well, FWIW.

Thanks,
KennyH.