Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: Laufman
About
User Name: Laufman
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 46
[0.02% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: wide range bars
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:16:06 PM
bruce,
      i guess i was less clear in print than i was in the grey cells. what i'm looking for is a wide-range bar that's bigger than any and all of the last 20 bars. looking at your code i realized that you were comparing each bar of the 20 with its previous bar.
      i'm editing your code so that each first parenthetical unit will be the same (ABS(O-C) and each line will be:
ABS(O-C) > ABS(On-Cn)*2 AND On <>Cn ...AND... etc.
     i'm going to try it but would like to know if my thinking is correct.
     also, i'm afraid i don't understand the function of the 'On<>Cn' element. i'm guessing this means 'greater than OR lessor than' in order to address either a bullish or bearish bar. is this correct?

thanks,
jl
Topic: wide range bars
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:45:33 PM
i want a pcf to identify wide range bars--either bullish or bearish 'bodies' (open to close)--for the last 20 days.

i've tried several failed attempts, the last showing the first line only below (which was repeated with similar lines incremented by one day each for 20 lines):

((O - C > (O1 - C1) * 2) OR (C - O > (C1 - O1) * 2)) 

thanks,

jl
Topic: pattern scan pcf
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:03:50 PM
i'm trying to code the following scan to no avail:

a wide range bar (+2%) followed by a narrow range bar (-1%) irrespective of the direction (bullish or bearish) of either (i.e., a wide green bar followed by a narrow green OR red bar and vice versa). i thought this might be done using ABS values (preferred), but may require two separate scans depending on direction.

thanks.

jl
Topic: mov avg of indicator
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:39:27 PM
i'm trying to create a custom %true indicator of the crossover of "(h+l+c)/3" over its 3 period moving average. i don't imagine it's as hard as i made it but i just can't get it to plot.

thanks.

jl
Topic: blocks/lin reg channel
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:20:43 PM
tc2k allows a channel around a lin reg plot. blocks does not as i can make out.

blocks does have a regression channel; however, it plots from date to date and seems to require manually updating the current date which then requires adjusting the origin date--a colossal nusiance.

also, the regression channel does not seem to lend itself to the creation of conditions (i.e., price over upper channel, etc.).

1. is there any way to create a channel around  the lin reg plot (that could be used to create a condition)?

2. is there any way to correct the need to manually update the regression channel, and also to use the channel to create a condition?

thanks,

jl
Topic: blocks/bollinger-keltner
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:09:44 PM
i am trying to create a condition identifying when the bollinger bands are within the keltner channel. the  data window correctly displays the respective numbers when this condition occurs. however, dragging a bollinger top over a keltner top produces the non-applicable icon (circle and slash). 

1. is there any reason this condition cannot be created as the data points clearly are calculated?

2.is there some workaround that will accomplish this?

thanks,

jl
Topic: indicator query
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:46:35 PM
i'm trying to write a custom indicator --specifically a %true--using a crossover of a moving average over its OWN moving average (in general, any indicator like a macd, rsi, etc. crossing over an added moving average). 

is this do-able?
Topic: for craig--blocks nyc paintbrush realcode query
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 5:28:54 PM
ADDENDUM 2

a further note regarding the above--i discovered inadvertantly that if i change the time frame, the bar coloring changes back to red and green as advertised. but, when i spacebar to the next symbol, it reverts back to all green bars.
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:45:11 PM
ADDENDUM

regarding the above additional post, i remade the double layout (1-3 day charts in tandem), saved it, saved it again as a copy for backup. when i opened the chart today, sunday, both files had the imported file default to green-only bars.

what the 'f...' ???????

am i saving the file incorrectly? is there a problem with how i'm adding the second chart? what???

thanks,

jl
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 2:35:21 AM

i'm having the following 'related' problem:

i've saved a daily chart and placed it in my layout as a 3-day chart next to the daily. it comes in with the bars painted red & green (no white/volume color) as on the daily. when i change symbols in the watchlist, it reverts to all green bars. i've tried retyping the realcode to no avail.

i cannot figure out what's preventing the new code from 'sticking' to the second chart, or how to 'detach' the original code and start with a new code window (if that's what's necessary). as the code does not require being linked to volume on this chart (as in the original query), color me stuck!

thanks,

jl