Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: rogerhol
About
User Name: rogerhol
Groups: Gold User, Member, Platinum User, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 6
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Safari 12 - no more silverlight support - solutions?
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:28:21 AM

It's great to be back up and running, and now using v18 on my iMac.  But there is a serious downside to the new setup:  With v18, you lose your BATS real-time data feed and so you're back to what seems like an absurd situation with delayed data but with the more modern platform.

The obvious answer if you can't stand the 15-min delay is to go back to v12.5.  But then you're running an old version.  If you want the faster data, you gotta fork over another $180/yr, because the BATS feed doesn't work with v18.  It's a very unfortunate dilemma.

I'm not going to spend the extra money, so I went back to v12.5.  I had to download IE of course, and TC requires Silverlight to be downloaded which was no problem.  Then v12.5 came right up running without any problem.   

V12.5 actually runs a little better in the iMac-Parallels-Coherence-Windows-IE setup.  The mouse scrolling functions work properly whereas they never did in Safari.  Of course, BATS real time is back.

If you don't need all the whizbang features of v18, this works just fine and saves money.

Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 1:22:29 PM

I bought & downloaded the latest version of Parallels (v14) and installed it and as part of the process, I opted to have Parallels orchestrate the download of Windows 10.  It was as easy as Bruce said it would be, and so probably his parents really could do it since they're no doubt about my age.  

Then I opened TC in the IE browser within the new Windows OS and downloaded TC version 18.  This went fine so I opened the program, logged in and it proceeded to fetch my TC chart info from the last time I used the program 2 days ago.  Now it's all up & running and it appears that the iOS/v12.5 disaster has been averted.  All the while, I'm keying this forum entry from a Safari tab in iOS on screen 2 while TC is running on screen 3 to my right, just as it has for the last 2 years since I bought the iMac.

Parallels 14 is $80 but I paid $100 for a permanent license.  For the extra $20, you don't have to buy it again for another $80 every year and you can still upgrade every couple of years for about half price.

I'm running a pair of 27" Apple Thunderbolt monitors, one on each side of the iMac's 27" 4K screen. Behind the TC window on screen 3 are a couple of MS Word files that are open and running in iOS.  The whole setup is identical to the way I ran TC v12.5 for 2 years before the recent upgrade that killed off the iOS version of TC.

I currently have 7 Safari browser windows open containing a total of about 60 web page tabs including my brokerage account, plus Outlook email and several Excel & Word files are open.  I've always run expensively equipped high-performance PCs before switching to the Mac and they could never handle this much at once, ever.  The Mac just sits there, totally silent, all inside of the monitor itself and it never glitches in any way.  The thing is just awesome and now it runs TC v18 so I couldn't be happier. 

I had to resize some of the scales, chart notes and watchlist fonts.  No problem.

At this point, I consider the whole TC 12.5 issue to be in the past.  If you run Macs, go do this.  If you run a PC, go buy an iMac so you can stop wasting precious time being a computer tech/hobbyist.  Once you try Mac, you'll never go back.

Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 10:06:18 AM

Bruce, thank you for the detail response.  I'll happily admit to being misinformed, or even uninformed, when it comes to the technical aspects of computers.  I simply use the heck out of them and need them to perform.  I switched to the iMac from PCs about 2 years ago and will never go back because the beautiful machine just sits here and always works and runs 3 huge monitors, unlike any PC ever.  TC is--I mean was--running 24/7 on my iMac and now it doesn't anymore, so we need to get it back up.  It's how we make money and I've never seen a better charting program.

I purchased Parallels some time ago and have been reluctant to install it because it seemed very unlikely that I'd bother to run a Windows program on my Mac if it required that I reboot every time between Windows and iOS.  But your description of the Coherence feature prompted me to read about it on the Parallels website and it does sound promising so I'm going to forge ahead with this approach and report back, here.

Would I be installing TC v18 in the Parallels/Coherence scenario?  If so, then the version update would seem to be an actual and significant improvement in the whole iOS situation in which we're working right now.

As to running IE in a Chrome tab, it didn't work for me. It still wanted Silverlight and would go no further without it.  It would be helpful if TC would figure this out and create a procedure for Mac users to keep us running. 

I'll be baaack.

Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 5:33:30 PM

I had an online chat with TC today about this.  The bottom line is that there's no practical answer.  Furthermore, there's no indication that TC is working very seriously on the issue, to wit, they quickly offered to refund my recent renewal payment.  The workarounds offered by Bruce L above are impractical:  1--An emulator would require rebooting back & forth from TC to get back to our Safari browsers, spreadsheets, emails, etc.  The suggestion is crazy and makes one realize that the trainers are not investors, which is ok to a point but we're beyond that point now.  2--Virtual Box?  How many of the tens or hundreds of thousands of Mac users can do this?  I certainly can't and the TC folks state that they will not assist us.  3--Run IE in Chrome?  I tried it and can't get it to work and TC won't help, at least at this point.

Considering that TC is several versions behind in the development of the Mac version and they offer not even a hint as to when they'll roll it out, we clearly can't wait for what could be months or years.

I've always considered TC's help chat to be 100% helpful over the last 20 years.  But now it just went to 0% and we are all left hanging out to dry.