Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: robconley
About
User Name: robconley
Groups: Gold User, Member, Platinum User, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 28
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Help with visiblebar percent change code
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 11:37:21 AM

I am in hopes someone can help me with some code.  I'm a bit of a hack coder, so please bear with me.  I'm simply trying to chart the cumulative percent change of visible bars - from left of screen to last bar.  While the code sort of works, it doesn't always display when the chart is opened, doesn't expand to a new zoom, and never displays when changing time frames away from a daily time frame.

I know at least part of my problem (if not all of it) is the use of TotalBars variable.  I've set it to 5000 because that's the setting for 'max daily bars to read' in the data manager utility for the entire program.  Obviously, I'm not reading that many bars on a weekly or monthly time frame.  But I couldn't figure out any other means to determine when to begin plotting.  Ideas?

Thanks  -Rob

'# RECALC_ON_ZOOM_SCROLL
'# Symbol = UserInput.String = "DXY0"
'# TotalBars = UserInput.Integer = 5000

Static altPrice As WBI.CommonBlocks.RealCodeIndicator
Static BeginningOfVisiblePriceBars As Integer = TotalBars - ActiveChart.BarsVisible
Static Offset As Integer = 0

If isFirstBar Then
 altPrice = PriceData(Symbol)
End If

If CurrentIndex > BeginningOfVisiblePriceBars Then
 Plot = ((altPrice.Value - altPrice.Value(Offset)) / altPrice.Value(Offset) * 100)
 Offset += 1
Else
 Plot = Single.Nan
End If

Topic: Should RealCode allow Full access to .net namespaces
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:11:50 PM
While the second option sounds appealing it also sounds as though it could open all of our computers up to potentially huge security issues.  I hope you think this through VERY carefully before implementing it.  Is it worth pleasing a handful of "power" users while possibly alienating everyone else due to a malicious attack or data theft?  And don't kid yourselves.  It WILL eventually happen.  If you do decide to implement option 2, however, please include a (default to on) program-wide disable option for those not wanting to - or more importantly, not knowing how to - deal with this risk.
Topic: indicator of an indicator
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:46:12 PM
Kuf, I would like to automatically change the parameters of both of these indicators depending upon the time frame - which is not a problem from a coding standpoint.  I just can't figure out how to get the indicators into the code in the first place - short of ( chart.indicator.stochastic ) - which is read only and so won't let me change parameters.  And l don't see how this is possible using the Stoc of RSI you mentioned, either.   I'm open to suggestions, though.

Thanks  -Rob
Topic: indicator of an indicator
Posted: Friday, July 9, 2010 6:37:31 AM

Can someone please suggest a means to ceate a library indicator from another library indicator.  Specifically, I'm looking to get stochastic of rsi with the ability to automatically change parameters of each depending upon time frame.

Thanks  -Rob

Topic: time frames with imported data
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 3:41:39 PM

Bruce, I appreciate the quick response.  Makes total sense - bad data in, bad data out.  Look's like I have a little work ahead of me.  I guess that's why we pay data providers so much money -- for thier clean data!! 

On a totally unrelated issue, is there any plan to make Don Worden's daily report from Telechart available to StockFinder users?  I posed this question quite some time ago and was given a link for an archival of his report.  Unfortunately, it wasn't updated on a tmely basis and really wasn't useful.

Again, thanks.  -Rob

Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 2:22:48 PM
I've imported a lot of data with varying tme frames - daily, weekly, monthly, and even quarterly.  I've noticed  a few quirks in the way the data is displayed and am hopeful you can shed some light on the situation.

While this is a minor issue and probably more a data than a design issue, I've found that the time frame selected within the chart has little or no effect on the chart with most of this data.  For instance, if I have weekly data, it won't display monthly or quarterly time frames.

Also, if I create a real code indicator using data with different intervals it doesn't display - presumably due to the differing time frames.  For instance, I had monthly and quarterly data and attempted to create an indicator that displayed the ratio of these two sets of data.  While it worked using the block diagram, it won't display in real code.

I'm not certain about this but it also APPEARS to be affecting ROC indicator (and perhaps others?) in that it doesn't display accurately - presumably again, due to the differing tme frames.

First, can you explain how the data is displayed when using data having weekly, monthly, or quarterly intervals?

Second, can you offer a suggestion - short of filling in the "holes" in my data - to improve this situation?

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere.

Thanks  -Rob
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 2:22:01 PM
I've imported a lot of data with varying tme frames - daily, weekly, monthly, and even quarterly.  I've noticed  a few quirks in the way the data is displayed and am hopeful you can shed some light on the situation.

While this is a minor issue and probably more a data than a design issue, I've found that the time frame selected within the chart has little or no effect on the chart with most of this data.  For instance, if I have weekly data, it won't display monthly or quarterly time frames.

Also, if I create a real code indicator using data with different intervals it doesn't display - presumably due to the differing time frames.  For instance, I had monthly and quarterly data and attempted to create an indicator that displayed the ratio of these two sets of data.  While it worked using the block diagram, it won't display in real code.

I'm not certain about this but it also APPEARS to be affecting ROC indicator (and perhaps others?) in that it doesn't display accurately - presumably again, due to the differing tme frames.

First, can you explain how the data is displayed when using data having weekly, monthly, or quarterly intervals?

Second, can you offer a suggestion - short of filling in the "holes" in my data - to improve this situation?

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere.

Thanks  -Rob
Topic: Crude Oil Futures headed to $60/br
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 9:36:35 AM
QUOTE (bknight)
Historical valuations of oil/gold are difficult to evaluate on a long term basis, since the price of gold was regulated until the 70's, about the time that OPEC geared up and sent oil prices higher.

This is my point exactly. Oil prices went higher in the 1970's for one reason - and one reason only - because we left the gold standard in 1971. With a floating dollar eveybody in the world had to react to the extremely higher risk of doing business. The net effect? Higher cost everything. Check it out. Every commodity in the world rose to unheard of hieghts during the 1970's.

Now, fast forward to the last 10 years. Beginning around 1995, the FOMC had a very deflationary policy allowing the dollar to rise considerably. The cost of every commodity - including oil - tumbled during this period. Are you telling me we didn't have similar demand issues then? Around 1999-2000, the FOMC's monetary policy changed and is now rather inflationary thus causing the latest rise in oil and every other commodity.

Everyone seems to think the very slow and deliberate rise in oil demand over the last few years is causing the price of oil to rise. And to a point it has. But the relatively smaller supply/demand cycle rides on top of the much larger cycle caused by factors contributed to the floating dollar.
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 11:05:46 AM
I don't know if I buy the superspike theory. What's going to trigger it? I agree, demand is increasing, but it's been increasing for several years. There is no reason to expect a "spike" in demand. There could be a supply issue - terrorist act, etc. - that could cause a spike. But that's something that even Mr. Greenspan can't predict - let alone you or me. And that's definitely not something on which I'd be willing to wager my money.
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2005 1:55:45 PM
Be careful. Oil typically tracks gold with the gold/oil ratio historically around 15. It's currently around 8 - which obviously makes oil very expensive from a historical standpoint. Unless gold rises substantially - to the tune of about $300 which I seriously doubt will happen - oil will, by necessity have to come back to earth eventually to around $25 to $30.