Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: markag
About
User Name: markag
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 38
[0.01% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Count Back Line
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:21:14 PM
Yah, I had the same problem trying to figure it out.

Thanks.
Topic: Count Back Line
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:16:30 PM
I am doing some work on Darryl Guppy's Trend Trading methodology and I can easily implement the GMMA. At the moment, I am having trouble figuring out the Count Back Line automatically as a calculated value. 

By definition, you start with the most recent low, the most significant price bar (a). We move to the top of price bar (a) and then move across to the left to locate the next highest price bar in the current downtrend. This is the next significant price bar (b). Then we move to the top of price bar (b) and across to the left to the next price bar with a higher high. This is the third significant price bar (c). The high of bar (c) is the Count Back Line.

PCF anyone?
Topic: GTW
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 6:56:36 PM
Looking for chart patterns, would one consider GTW breaking out of an ascending triangle as a reversal pattern on a daily chart between 7/107 and today?

Thats what I see here...

Regards,
Mark

Practicing, Learning.
Topic: How to Backtest a strategy?
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:17:09 PM
I just DL'd SnapSheets - Wow!

I have some reading and some tutorials to go through tonight...

Thx.
Topic: How to Backtest a strategy?
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 7:26:30 AM
Hi all,

I'd like your ideas on how you backtest a buy/sell strategy based on a chart. For example, let's assume I am using a chart that has MA12,MA26,MA40,MA50 with MACD12,26,9 settings. I decide that

a BUY is a bullish MACD cross of the signal line when all three MA's are trending up and MA12>MA26>MA40.

a SELL is a 2-day violation of the MA40 or any violation of the MA50.

Using the DJ30, would you go back over each stock and record BUY and SELL signals and their prices over the past year for each stock and see how the return is?

How do you backtest a chart strategy?

Regards,
Mark
Topic: BOP, TSV and MoneyStream
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 3:44:38 PM
QUOTE (Bruce_L)
The trainers cannot give settings, interpretation or investment advice. I'll move this to Stock and Market Talk forum where other traders are more likely to see it and comment. You may wish to review the following:

Basic Info on BOP, TSV and MoneyStream

Hmmm. I was not asking for settings (periods, MA's), interpretation (Bullish or bearish) or investment advice (Buy or sell).

I was simply asking you under what indicator category would you classify BOP, TSV and CMS - Trend, Momentum, or Volume.

I hope someone can help me understand these three a little better and answer the question I posed.

Thanks.
Topic: ACEL - Ready to pop?
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 10:32:26 AM
QUOTE (raymond2168)
Look very goor ight be a little early on this one.if you put a two day or 3 day chart up it still could go down.I do like seeing it going sidway like it my pop up any time

Good point. I need to remember to examine the longer time frames when researching.

I still think it looks ready to go however....

:)
Topic: ACEL - Ready to pop?
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 7:21:13 AM
This Biotech looks really good to me on a daily in TSV, BOP and MS. Stochastics 13,6,3 just turned upward across the 20, TSV18/MA10 just crossed the signal line and is supported by TSV38, BOP is all go, and MS has a positive leading divergence from 11/17 to present.

Any thoughts?

It's a low-priced stock perhaps worth taking a gamble on.

Regards,
Mark
Topic: BOP, TSV and MoneyStream
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 10:34:38 PM
Hi,

I'd like to know under which indicator category or categories you would place BOP, TSV and Money Stream into:

1) Momentum (ex: Stochastics)
2) Trend (ex: MACD)
3) Volume (ex: OBV)

From my research:

BOP - fits into a category of devices that can be termed "trend quality" indicators. - Craig S.

TSV - One of the new features of this indicator is the ability to calculate a moving average of another moving average. This addition has made TSV more effective and easier to use. Now you can calculate a moving average of an already smoothed TSV and use it much in the same way the MACD indicator is used. Positive and negative TSV crossovers are one more thing to consider when trying to form an opinion on a particular stock or market index. - Craig S.

Money Stream - The main difference between OBV and CMS is that CMS has a greater ability to contradict price movement than OBV does. This is achieved by using all of the elements within the daily price bar rather than just the close. The high, low, close and daily range are related to volume in a unique and proprietary way. You may wish to compare CMS and OBV in a variety of stocks and time frames. Generally you will find that CMS has the greater predictive power. But not always. Sometimes OBV does the better job. The more things you look at, and the more time frames you habitually check out, the better you are going to do. - Craig S.

So I would say that:

BOP is a trend indicator
TSV is a Volume indicator
CMS is a Volume indicator

Is that assessment accurate?

Regards,
Mark

Topic: XOM: identifying reversals by candlelight
Posted: Saturday, December 9, 2006 5:07:38 PM
Hi,

In my effort to become better at the art of Technical Analysis, I am examining candlestick patterns and came across XOM. On a daily price chart using candlesticks, we have a bullish trend spanning from 11/24 to 12/04, 7 consecutive gaining sessions. On 12/05, we saw a Doji(?) form and "The relevance of a doji depends on the preceding trend or preceding candlesticks. After an advance, or long white candlestick, a doji signals that the buying pressure is starting to weaken."

Here we see that the Doji, in hindsight, correctly predicted the following decline of the stock from an open of 77.82 on 12/6 to a close of 75.50 on 12/8. It might be reasonable to assume the price will hit support at the 75 mark, the previous resistance level back between 11/9 and 11/16.

Any candlestickers out there who would like to opine on this, you are certainly welcome.

Regards,
Mark