Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: okjunga
About
User Name: okjunga
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 8
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: highlighting conditions on a chart
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 10:02:45 PM
I'm wondering if there is a way to highlight bars on a chart when a certain condition is true. For example, let's say I want to identify outside days on a candlestick chart (h>h1 AND l<l1). Each time there is an outside day, I'd like TC to display a dot, or an arrow, or a special color on that bar showing that the condition I'm looking for has occurred on that day. I can then glance at a chart and see when where the condition has occurred.

Thanks.
Topic: What does it take to become a successful investor?
Posted: Tuesday, August 8, 2006 5:45:26 PM
PV78,

A note on your original point...I began trading about a year ago as well and am proud to be dead even. How I traded a year ago and how I trade now are completely different as I learn, develop, and refine; and as the market conditions change. As JohnGault said and I've heard others echo, the past several months have been very difficult for most.

Things I've found helpful:

- Read. I bet I've read 10-15 books in the past 12 months, almost all obtained from the library. Being a beginner, I tend to like the books that keep it simple - such as Stan Weinstein's and Bill O'Neil's. As I learn more, I read more complicated things, but don't necessarily try them. I also read IBD, Worden reports, and a handful of blogs.

- Track. A few months ago I became frustrated that I wasn't making any progress. I realized that I didn't have any idea how many trades I had made and how well they had done. How long was I holding positions? How much did I make/lose on each trade? How did my entry/exit points match the system I was trying to implement?

- Persevere. I consider the money I spend on investing to be tuition. If I were to lose 5% of my stake it would be money spent on learning how to do this. I assume there will be costs in the form of trading losses, which is why I'm happy to be even. I hope I'll be doing better year by year until I develop the track record I am hoping for long-term.
Topic: Days since 52wk high/low
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 5:29:13 PM
You would not need to go back more than 365 calendar days from today as the 52-week high is guaranteed to have occurred within that timeframe.

As an extreme example, consider a stock that has been in a 2-year linear downtrend (each day's close is less then previous). Today's 52-week high would have occurred 365 calendar days ago.

Joey.
Topic: Days since 52wk high/low
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 5:07:09 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to calcuate the number of days since a stock hit its 52-week high/low?

Thanks,
Joey.