Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: ehj
About
User Name: ehj
Groups: Gold User, Member, Platinum User, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Parameter Symbol Text Input
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:49:50 PM
Hmmm...

Okay. One application is pairs trading where a block can detect what symbol is coming in and then based on that symbol read in another symbol's data and compute some analysis.

Perhaps there is a different way to do this?

I also noticed I can't use "using" stmts (C#). That's a shame as I have some of my own libraries I'd like to access.

eric
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 10:08:58 PM
QUOTE (brexxx)
Yes. Try using the "Parameter: Symbol" Block. I can explain further if necessary.

Cool. Thank you.

I have two more questions:

1) Is there a why to determine the current symbol within a code block?

2) Is there a way to read in the data for an arbitrary symbol within a code block?

Many thanks!

eric
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 11:45:22 AM
QUOTE (Kuf)
We need a Text to Symbol block to acomplish something what you described above(oversight on our part). We'll add that block for the next build.

Once in place you could use the Text Input Tool to type a symbol and have it change the symbol in your diagram.

Was this capability ever added?

Thx.
Topic: meaning and use of period and width in envelope channels
Posted: Thursday, March 9, 2006 3:12:54 PM
Okay - thanks for your response. I guess I am still a little confused.

1) Std Dev will change over time (the basis of Bollinger Bands), yet the envelope channels as plotted in TC2005 appear to be constant.

If the envelopes are based on some form of Std Dev how are they different than Bollinger Bands and what period is this Std Dev calculated over?

3) The Meyers book referenced by Don Worden in every Worden Report defines envelopes in terms of percent price above and below a moving average (p.135 3rd Ed.) Why are the TC2005 envelopes differnt than this? Is there a why to plot bands that are +/- a certain percentage from a moving average?

Many thanks,

eric
Topic: meaning and use of period and width in envelope channels
Posted: Thursday, March 9, 2006 2:06:03 PM
QUOTE (Craig_S)
Width is our own version of standard deviation. The width unit will be based on the volatility of the stock. Though not your typical StD, you can think of it as being like the StD times 10.

Start with a width of 15 and play with it from there, looking through charts, until you find a width setting that "looks right" to you.

Hi,

This is not right. An envelope channel is not based on Std Dev, rather a price percent around the moving average. There was post by Doug H on April 7, 2005:

QUOTE (Doug_H)
Thanks for your patience. Our Help File says that the width is based on Standard Deviation. A width entry of 10 is one SD, a width entry of 20 is two SD's, etc..

However, upon investigation, we have determined that the width calculation is based on something other than Standard Deviation. This issue has been forwarded back to our development team for clarification. We are still waiting for a response from their research. Please click on the Watch This Topic link at the top right of your original post, and you will receive an email when a reply is posted to this question.

Thanks for taking the time to pose your question so clearly.

which clarifies this. Unfortunately I did not see any follow-up.

So, I'd like to ask the question again: What does the value for "Width" mean? (10 looks close to 10% but not quite).

Many thanks!

eric