Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: dlatka
About
User Name: dlatka
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: ADX Indicator
Posted: Wednesday, January 5, 2005 10:37:11 PM
QUOTE (jpatrell)
Is this an Advance/Decline indicator? Please help. JoeP

The ADX (Average Directional Index) oscillator fluctuates between 0 and 100. Readings above 60 are relatively rare. Readings below 20 indicate a weak trend, while readings above 40 indicate a strong trend. The indicator does not determine the trend as bullish or bearish. It instead assesses the strength of the current trend. I.E. Readings above 40 can indicate a strong upward or downward trend.

You can also use it to identify potential changes in a chart from trending to non-trending. Many use the ADX crossing from below 20 to above 20 as a sign that the trading range is ending and new trend is developing.
Topic: INTC looks about to have a bullish break
Posted: Tuesday, January 4, 2005 10:51:02 PM
I guess I need to learn more about TSV, MS and BOP. My prior trading experience was with QCharts which did not have these apparently powerful indicators. Today I saw several bullish stocks to the panic sell off so I'm not sure if the pennant was incorrect or the general market conditions took out the bullish INTC move.

As a side note...A while ago, I read a trading rule (I think it was Ken Trester) to always have an balanced portfolio go long on bullish stocks and short on weak stocks. This really helps even out the sudden market turns like yesterday and today. I am thrilled that I had bought a few puts on December 31 on a few other weak stocks.
Posted: Monday, January 3, 2005 10:13:27 PM
QUOTE (gasminder)

All that said I'll reiterate that I think INTC's long-term picture is not robust and that may well be coloring my view. But at least now you know what someone on the other side of your trade might be thinking.

GC,
Thanks for the analysis. I really appreciate various opinions and will use the stocks future performance to help tune my skills.

Thanks again,
Dave
Posted: Monday, January 3, 2005 5:28:31 PM
Post has been edited by moderator.

From mid October to today, INTC looks to be setting up almost a picture perfect pennant.

Also, after the long downtrend of 2004, MACD is divergent from the June high compared to the November high.

I've been out of investing for a while and am a bit rusty on my analysis. Please comment to help me re-tune my skills after my 3 year hibernation.

Thanks,
Dave