Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: bhop
About
User Name: bhop
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Proper use of total return
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 3:06:28 PM
Yes and No, I'm not asking your question about rank? Is percentile rank meaningless in selcetion of the quality of a Fund?
For example MF sysmbol FBRVX has had a total return ranking of 93 to 97 for various time periods over the past 5 yrs( 1 month, quarter to date, year to date 3yrs and 5 years). Yesterday it lost money again but retained it's high ranking which to me does not make sense. Similarly CSRSS lost money the last several days but retain a ranking of 98 to 99 during these various time periods. Unwpx has a current ranking of '3' and it too lost money the past several days. Obviously 2 is not equal99 so how do you calculate each of the percentile ranks? I would like to use the total return as a ranking criteria. Am I using it incorrectly?

I have this same unanwered problem for several years now. Please refer to your acrhives of 'Ask the trainer' for the used 'bhop' and you will see my fustration!
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:51:59 PM
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:51:56 PM
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:17:08 PM
pLEASE ANSWER my question and not give an obtuse , nothing answer which is obvious to all. Do you have any inferences from your reply that I missed. Do you think you answered my original question. ALSO, i ASKED FOR THE MATH TO CALUCULATE THE percentile grouping OF TOTAL RETURN. pLEASE ANSWER .
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:13:24 PM
QUOTE (Craig_S)
Total return takes into account return from dividend payouts.
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 12:55:19 PM
A percentile rank is calculated in tc2000Funds for various time frames. Why doesn't this ranking coorealate with actual performance of the fund? some funds ranking 97 to 98 over various time periods are losers while some funds ranking <50 are doing much better than the high ranking funds. Am I using this percentile wrong? Show me the math on the calculation of the percentile of the total return.
Thanks.
Topic: Pls. define 'total return' and explain how it can be expressed as a perciltiles when the company is
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2006 1:18:05 PM
thanks for the reply but pls consider the entire question . I havve many funds with 99 percentile that are losing money. Per your definition this shoudn't happen. What is the 'rest of the story"?
Topic: Total return useage for the mutual fund program
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2006 12:08:45 PM
How is total return determined on a percentile basis? Does total return apply to the % of an industry group or a MF style or what? I see many example of funds havivg a rank of 99 that show losses in the daily NAV while conversely many that rank<10 are winners!
What value is total return and what is the best way to use it for grading funds?
Topic: Pls. define 'total return' and explain how it can be expressed as a perciltiles when the company is
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 4:28:31 PM
Topic: Replies to "Definitions of all built in scanning and sorting criteria"
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 12:48:56 PM
Total return as a percentile differs from that determined by Mornigstar for the same time frame. I think you use Morningstar as a beginning basis for this determination, so why do your values differ so frequesntly.? Who is correct? The difference is large in say 25% of the cases observed.
You were going to check this out last summer and get back with your answer but I never heard from you.