Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: warrenshepherd
About
User Name: warrenshepherd
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 13
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Linear Regression
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 4:52:22 PM

Sirs, I use the linear regression to make some judgements on stocks, both 3 month and 4 month linear regressions.  I want to get the slope of those regression lines and use them in scans to select stocks. 

Can you tell me how to write the formula for the slope of the linear regression line created by the Worden software or how I can obtain that value to use in my scans?

The slope should be the number that is the ratio of the 'rise over run', and consequently, its number will be the value of dollars gained in the stock per each day of trading, as measured by the linear regression.

thank you for your assistance........warren shepherd

Topic: PCF expression for exponential TSV
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 7:41:55 PM
Thanks, Bruce.  Well, I guess I am quite confused now.  When one selects the TSV indicator, one has a choice of period (since it is an average), and one has a choice of whether the TSV is done arithmetically or exponentially.  So, I would think that one has two fundamental choices of TSV, arithmetic or exponential.  (And when one looks at the graph under either exponential or arithmetic, one gets different graphs.)  And that one would have two fundamental choices of an average of the TS, either arithmetic or exponential. (Again, they appear to give different graphs.)

Then, once one has chosen either the arithmetic or the exponential TSV, one may then take an average over another period, and that average can either be arithmetic or exponential.  

So, the way I have thought of it, there are 4 different items that should be differentiated:
(a) an arithmetic 38 period TSV with its arithmetic 19 period average;
(b) an arithmetic 38 peiod TSV with its exponential 19 period average
(c) an exponential 38 period TSV with its arithmetic 19 period average;and 
(d) an exponential 38 period TSV with its exponential  19 period average.

Do not all of these items exist and are they not distinct?
If they do not all exist, please let me know which do not.
If they do exist, please differentiate their written algebraic denotation.

Thanks, and sorry for my thorough confusion.............warren
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:25:51 PM
Bruce, thank you for your response.  The expression must be a way to calculate the value desired.  The expression is much more complicated than I thought it would be.

Can you assist me then with what I hope is a simpler question:  What is the proper expression for the current value of an exponential TSV of period 38?  I take it that there is no simple closed expression to indicate that the TSV is exponential versus simple?

thanks....warren
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:24:58 PM
I'm trying to build a PCF that uses the 19 day exponential average of the exponential 38 day TSV.  I want to write the phrase for that value and for that value 4 days ago..........

can you assist me?  thanks.......
Topic: S&P500 syntax in a PCF
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:12:37 PM
I'm wanting to develop a PCF which gives a value for the relative strength of a stock relative to the S&P500 30 days ago.  So, it would look something like:

((C/SP500)/(C30/SP500.30))*100

that is, the Close of the stock now divided by the S&P now, all divided by the Close of the stock 30 days go divided by the S&P500 close 30 days ago,, all times 100.  I've tried several notations for the S&P500 value 30 days ago, but they don't seem to compute.

thanks.....
Topic: PCF using S&P500 value
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:40:02 PM
How can I indicate the S&P500 close 30 days back?  3 months back?  6 months back?

thanks...........
Topic: Function point
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 9:58:36 PM
Thanks, Bruce. I was interested in using it in a pcf and to develop a custom indicator, for use in comparing stocks. Thanks again...
Topic: Function point
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:57:06 PM
How do you designate the value of the S&P500 today? S&P500 20 days ago. Thanks....
warrenshepherd
Topic: Scanning for extreme values of TSV
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 1:05:39 PM
I currently use TSV period 13 on a monthly chart and weekly chart. I am wanting to scan to find extremely "high" values or extremely "low" values of this variable. How do I write the variable TSV period 13 on a monthly chart; on a weekly chart?

Since TSV values differ from stock to stock, how do I "normalize" these values in order to scan for very high values or very low values of monthly TSV or weekly TSV?

Same questions for the variable Price Rate of Change....thanks....
Topic: Scaling for consistency
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:41:41 PM
QUOTE (Doug_H)
warrenshepherd:

I'm having a little trouble following exactly what you're describing. Would you mind describing a very specific example of either TSV or ROC. Tell me in detail what you have plotted where, what zoom and time frame, what chart scaling option you're using, what template saving option you've chosen, and any other pertinent information that I can use to recreate what you're describing. Then perhaps I can offer some help or suggestions.

Doug, let me try a different tack. On my TSV and ROC charts, as I scroll through time, at certain points, the scale for the graphs shifts. When the scale shifts, the graphs jump, to maintain the correct ordinates on the new scale. How can I stop that? Thanks.........