Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: NICSTEF
About
User Name: NICSTEF
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 13
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Identify sectors gaining momentum over the past few months
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 5:39:52 PM
Doug:

I must have deleted the pcf's for the top industry groups for the last month, previous month, etc. Is there any way I can get these pcf's so I can follow your video on picking uptrending industry groups and stocks within those groups.

Thanks,

Nicstef
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 5:37:13 PM
QUOTE (Doug_H)
Author: Doug Holden<br /><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" width="800" height="465" id="myMovieName"><br /><param name="movie" value="videoconfig/MomentumSectors_controller.swf?csConfigFile=videoconfig/MomentumSectors_config.xml"><br /><param name="quality" value="high"><br /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF"><br /><embed src="videoconfig/MomentumSectors_controller.swf?csConfigFile=videoconfig/MomentumSectors_config.xml" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF width="800" height="465" name="myMovieName" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object><br /><br /><br /><br />keywords: All Media General Industry Averages industry sub-industry sector PCFs WatchList Tabs sort by columns flagging create personal WatchList All Flagged Items Industry Pulldown Menu custom date sort price rate of change visual change indicator sort<br />
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 5:33:40 PM
QUOTE (Doug_H)
Author: Doug Holden<br /><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" width="800" height="465" id="myMovieName"><br /><param name="movie" value="videoconfig/MomentumSectors_controller.swf?csConfigFile=videoconfig/MomentumSectors_config.xml"><br /><param name="quality" value="high"><br /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF"><br /><embed src="videoconfig/MomentumSectors_controller.swf?csConfigFile=videoconfig/MomentumSectors_config.xml" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF width="800" height="465" name="myMovieName" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object><br /><br /><br /><br />keywords: All Media General Industry Averages industry sub-industry sector PCFs WatchList Tabs sort by columns flagging create personal WatchList All Flagged Items Industry Pulldown Menu custom date sort price rate of change visual change indicator sort<br />
Topic: TSV INTERPRETATION
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 1:54:55 PM
Sorry for causing the confusion Craig. I'm a math guy and have too many years of Arithmetic/Geometric and Logarithmic/Exponential floating around in my head. I was not changing the scale in the upper window, just the averaging type in the lower.

My problem still is which averaging type to use. The Worden note that I mentioned regarding ROH uses simple. Why wasn't exponential used which shows TSV rising while price also is. DW notes that the stock might have trouble holding its head above 40. Recall DW also said "as bad a TSV divergence as you'll ever see". It doesn't look that bad when exponential is used. ROH closed yesterday at 48.62, up from 42.40 on Jan 21. I guess it's just flip a coin.

Thanks for all your help. Your comments about raw TSV especially were very useful.
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 1:25:58 PM
QUOTE (Craig_S)
The indicator will change if you have it exponential or simple for the averaging of TSV. You mention:
changing TSV 18 from simple to log eliminates the divergence

I took this as you changing the scale to logarithmic, not the averaging type. Now I understand.

Changing the averaging type will change how the indicator plots. Set the period of the TSV to Ƈ'. This is the raw TSV calculated. When you set the period you are averaging the raw TSV. A TSV of 18 is the same as a TSV of 1 with a 18-day moving average added to it.

I was confused by the &quot;log&quot;.

Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:24:55 PM
Craig:

I am not plotting price and TSV in the same (upper window). I have TSV in the lower window all by itself, TSV 18. When my choice is exponential, TSV rises as does price from the Jan low to Jan 18. When I change TSV to simple, TSV shows a divergence. Price is rising to Jan 18, but TSV is falling.

Nick
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:16:44 PM
QUOTE (Craig_S)
NICSTEF...
Did you get a chance to read my response on the similar post you made in the thread linked below?
<a>http://www.worden.com/training/default.aspx?g=posts&amp;t=1978</a>

Changing from log to arith scaling IN NO WAY changes the pattern of TSV. Are you plotting the indicator in the top window and looking for how the price crosses the TSV line? Are you looking in the top window with TSV up there and noting if price is displayed above or below TSV?

If so, you cannot look at it this way. Price and TSV, when both in the top window, are on seperate scales. If you watch the TSV video again you will notice Mr. Worden keeps TSV in the lower windoe and looks at several things but not if TSV is above or below the price line.
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:09:37 PM
Yes Jim, you are correct.
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:05:33 PM
QUOTE (bustermu)
NICSTEF,

I have now concluded that by &quot;changing ... arith/log&quot;, you are not changing Arithmetic Scale to Logarithmic Scale, you are actually changing Simple Moving Averages to Exponential Moving Averages. Am I correct?

Thanks,
Jim Murphy
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:03:05 PM
QUOTE (bustermu)
NICSTEF,

I have now concluded that by &quot;changing ... arith/log&quot;, you are not changing Arithmetic Scale to Logarithmic Scale, you are actually changing Simple Moving Averages to Exponential Moving Averages. Am I correct?

Thanks,
Jim Murphy