New version 17 available now

Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: King247
About
User Name: King247
Groups: Gold User, Member
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 26
[0.01% of all post / 0.84 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: setting up PCF for day trading
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 1:40:34 PM

Thanks, Bruce.

Not that I have a ton of daytrading experience, but from what I understand, the lion's share of best opportunities are caught in scans that include after-hours the day before, and the pre-market (especially during earnings season, but also based on significant announcements).

Let's pretend it's 9:00AM and the scan includes after 4:00PM the day before through the present. Given that, can TC2000 scan separately for the above volume spikes?

I'll work on the above ideas you provided, but I'm wondering about extended hours, as well.

Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 1:08:09 PM

Bruce: I spoke too soon. I used the first one, but widened the price to a range of 5 to 50. It yielded 16 stocks. I then added the 2nd one, and no mater what period I use (1 min. to 1 hour), there are no results. Is it just that there are no stocks that fit the criteria?

Isn't the 2nd one only scanning "this" period? If that's the case, it seems that, logically, it would mainly work during the first and last period of the day, or at least the first.

Comments?

Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 1:02:03 PM

Thank you for clarifying that, Bruce.

Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:45:24 PM

Bruce: I finally got around to taking a look at this thread. You said:

And the intraday Condition Formula would check for the volume during the current intraday bar to be above average as well.

V >= 2 * AVGV20

Is that a modification of the previous formula or a standalone scan? I tried both and got inconsistent results. Thank you.

Topic: Question re Hull Moving Average
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 3:32:38 PM

This MA is intriguing. Thank you for bringing it up, bcochrane. UnclePennybags' citation of Hull's summary is great, too.

In it, Hull uses a 16 WMA and says, "A simple application for the HMA, given its superior smoothing, would be to employ the turning points as entry/exit signals. However it shouldn't be used to generate crossover signals as this technique relies on lag."

Question for bcochrane: Why did you pick 13 for the DMA? Any special reason? Thank you.

Topic: Parabolic and parabolic-ish uptrends
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 9:56:03 AM

Reporting back in, just in case anyone&#39;s interested. After a few experiments, I ended up trying: C > XAVG(C + 2 * ATR, 24) AND XAVG(C + 3 * ATR, 24) - C < XAVG(C1 + 3 * ATR1.1, 24) - C1, with a volume 50 SMA > 800k. This produced a list of 163 that included many notorious momentum stocks, of course. There were also a few I hadn&#39;t thought of, like INTU and MMM.

Uncle&#39;s monthly chart makes it easy to decide whether to drill down for a weekly look. I&#39;m still experimenting with the weekly chart indicators. All in all, this scan looks promising, thanks to Uncle and Bruce.

Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 2:14:01 PM

Thanks, Bruce. I&#39;ll take this offline, work with it and get back to you if I get stuck. I appreciate it.

Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 6:53:02 AM

Bruce,

I tried: CountTrue(TrueInRow(C > XAVGC5 AND C > XAVGC24, 3) = 3, 4) > 0

And added as a separate condition: XAVG(C + 3 * ATR, 24) - C < XAVG(C1 + 3 * ATR1.1, 24) - C1

That yielded a group of 551 stocks, even with volume 50 MA > 500,000. On the list was ACAD, a stock I know well. It&#39;s below the ATR centerline and below its Monthly 5 MA. Not what I had in mind.

I tried combining the PCFs with AND, then put parentheses around the two formulas: (CountTrue(TrueInRow(C > XAVGC5 AND C > XAVGC24, 3) = 3, 4) > 0) AND (XAVG(C + 3 * ATR, 24) - C < XAVG(C1 + 3 * ATR1.1, 24) - C1)

It still yielded 551 stocks, including ACAD.

Could you please modify the first formula to be: the last 3 consecutive months are higher, not 3 of the last 6?

Should I separate the two formulas or combine them with AND? Are the parentheses proper syntax?

Thank you.

Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 11:30:26 AM

Oooo, pretty. And very instructional. Thanks, Uncle!

Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:45:22 AM

Thank you for the options, Bruce (and also the lesson in formula syntax!)