Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: derekb1959
About
User Name: derekb1959
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 16
[0.01% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Which intraday bars are used in a formula near the Open
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 8:41:44 AM

Bruce,

Ok, thanks. That's what I suspected.

Derek

Topic: Which intraday bars are used in a formula near the Open
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:55:56 PM

Bruce,

I trade intraday momentum stocks from $1 to $150 and look for breakouts at the open. In my EasyScans, I am using Dollar Volume on 1 minute candles to filter for adequate liquidity, so it does not matter what the price is. For trial values, I am trying:

1 minute dollar volume > 50000
5 minute dollar voume > 250000

I only want to use completed candles because as a candle opens, it's volume restarts near zero. I want to use a 5 bar average.

For 1 minute timeframe, 5 bar average, ending on the previous bar:
(AVGV5.1*AVGC5.1)>50000

My question is this. If I run my scan at 3 minutes into the open, which bars are getting used in this formula? I know premarket is not used (oh, I wish). The Averages are calculated on 5 bars, ending 1 bar ago. But only 2 bars have formed today so far. Does the formula use the last 3 bars of yesterday and 2 from today? On breakout stocks, the volume could be puny the day before, which would mess up my intended results.

I suppose 3 bars would be enough average, instead of 5. Heck, maybe 1 bar is enough, then my question does not matter.

Regards,
Derek

Topic: Calculate Range of Green Days in a Row
Posted: Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:59:59 PM

Bruce,

You are brilliant, as always.

Thanks,
Derek

Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 8:07:08 PM

Bruce,

If brute force is what it takes, I'm ok with that! That was really good. Thank you!

I changed it a little to calculate the percent change from the low of the first green day. That's what I wanted to find, the biggest percent change.

IIF(C <= O OR C <= H1, 0, IIF(C1 <= O1 OR C1 <= H2, 100*(H - L)/L, IIF(C2 <= O2 OR C2 <= H3, 100*(MAXH2 - MINL2)/MINL2, IIF(C3 <= O3 OR C3 <= H4, 100*(MAXH3 - MINL3)/MINL3, IIF(C4 <= O4 OR C4 <= H5, 100*(MAXH4 - MINL4)/MINL4, IIF(C5 <= O5 OR C5 <= H6, 100*(MAXH5 - MINL5)/MINL5, IIF(C6 <= O6 OR C6 <= H7, 100*(MAXH6 - MINL6)/MINL6, IIF(C7 <= O7 OR C7 <= H8, 100*(MAXH7 - MINL7)/MINL7, IIF(C8 <= O8 OR C8 <= H9, 100*(MAXH8 - MINL8)/MINL8, IIF(C9 <= O9 OR C9 <= H10, 100*(MAXH9 - MINL9)/MINL9, 100*(MAXH10 - MINL10)/MINL10))))))))))

Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 12:37:00 PM

Bruce,

Previously you showed me a formula for Green Days in a Row (with higher highs). Which is awesome!

TrueInRow(C > O and C > H1, 10)

Now I want to add a column to the results to sort by the stock that had the biggest overall range during those green days, ie, the percent change from the Low to the High of that number of bars. I need the Low for the first day of the green run. The syntax for L is:

L(z) -> Low Price of specified bar.

If I use the TrueInRow formula for Z, it gives me an error. z has to be a number, not a formula. So I&#39;m stumped.

Regards,
Derek

Topic: Easyscan to find most number of green days in a row
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 1:42:39 PM

Bruce,

Thanks! I am so glad you are so good with this. There&#39;s no way I could have figured out the percent change formula.

Can you explain what TrueInRow and CountTrue is doing internally. Here are the only descriptions I am aware of http://forums.worden.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=66280

TrueInRow(bx) -> Will return a value between 0 and period that is how many times the Boolean formula was true in a row

CountTrue(bx) -> Will return the number of times Boolean formula was true in the period

For TrueInRow(C > O AND C > H1, 10), does it take the given boolean formula (expanded to show the "assumed" zero&#39;s) (C0>O0 AND C0>H1) then increment the period by one (C1>O1 AND C1>H2), and so forth for x periods, so essentially it generates 10 boolean formulas, which are either True or False. Then it counts backwards in time, from the first period, how many True&#39;s are in a row.

For example (newest time on the left, ie, the current bar 0):

(True, True, False, True, True, True, True, False, False, True), count from the left, answer = 2 True&#39;s in a row (not 4).

If the first value is False, the answer is 0 (zero).

Whereas, the same boolean and period used in CountTrue, with the same True/False results, would return 7 (7 True values).

Michael said there would be a full PDF document at some point for the formulas, in particular the new ones in V17.

Thanks, Derek

Topic: Easyscan to find most number of green days in a row
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 12:34:13 AM

Bruce,

I have been struggling to create an Easyscan to find stocks with the most number of green days in a row where each close is higher than the previous high. I think that either CountTrue or TrueInRow needs to be used. For me, a green day is the Close of that day is higher than the Open of that day (I have Color Based on "Open vs Close").

In a class I attended, they said something like CountTrue(C>C1,3) finds stocks up 3 days in a row (but what about more than that?) and TrueInRow(C>C1,50) counts how many days in a row a stock was up, returns a value like 5 or 9. But it was just a blur and my notes are not good.

In my results window, I would like a column to sort on the number of green days in a row. You may have guessed, I am trying to find parabolic short setups.

A typical example I want to find is like HTZ, it&#39;s up 6 green days in a row. Each close is higher than the previous high.

Then lastly, can I create a column that calculates the percent total change ((L of oldest day) - (H of today))/(Low of Oldest day) over those green days, so I can sort to find the biggest % mover, regardless of how many days it was. A 3 day runner could be up way more than a snoozer that&#39;s up 6 days. In the case of HTZ below, it&#39;s about 41% change from the low of $10.85 to high of $15.34 over 6 green days.

Thanks, Derek

Topic: Scan for price approaching recent high after pullback
Posted: Thursday, July 6, 2017 1:01:23 PM

bcochrane,

I am liking the results of the Hull scan as it is, finding stocks "on the way up" a bit earlier, and looking for plays to ride it back up to resistance. Thank you for explaining that tweek, I will experiment.

Bruce,

Thanks once again for your great information.

-Derek

Posted: Sunday, July 2, 2017 10:47:51 PM

Bruce, can you further explain how to do what you mentioned, "Probably more instructive in determining which approach would better suit your needs would be to plot both formulas as Custom PCF % True Indicators and then look at the chart."

There is so much power in TC2000 that I don&#39;t understand yet.

-bcochrane, thanks for the complete formula. I will try both approaches. I need to spend some time to decipher the logic in the Hull version. In fact, the Hull version is giving some very interesting results not found by the other version.

Bruce commented that your Hull scan would catch the uptrend sooner. My intent is to find price that is approaching some very obvious recent price level that was resistance. Then look for either a short into that resistance, or a new breakout.

Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:32:05 PM

Understood about the dot . versus the comma , so I will stick with /4 and /2.

Ahah, the 3rd term, I had the logic wrong. I got it now! I had to re-think that one.

I added the H>H1 at the beginning and that cleaned up the results. Very nice. Especially when I added a simple up trend condition AVGC20>AVGC50 (and volume of course). I got only 50 results today - very manageable to sift through - perfect. It&#39;s no good when you get hundreds of results.

Thanks Bruce, this is awesome stuff!

-Derek