Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: rfisher2
About
User Name: rfisher2
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 10
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: AXP large cash dividend
Posted: Sunday, December 4, 2005 4:43:42 PM
CORRECTION:

The AXP dividend was October 3. 2005, not October 13.
Topic: AXP large cash dividend
Posted: Sunday, December 4, 2005 4:37:35 PM
AXP had a $7.16 cash dividend on Oct. 13,2005. There is no large drop in the price chart, so I must assume the prices were adjusted for the dividend. How can we know that there was a large dividend and that you adjusted prices for that dividend?

How do you decide if a dividend is to be adjusted?

What is needed is a marker showing there was a dividend on that date similar to the way you show splits.
Topic: Dividend Adjusted Prices
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 4:38:30 PM
I am interested in the rules Worden uses to decide when to use dividend adjusted prices. I received a communication from (removed by Moderator) that explains the need for using dividend adjusted prices as shown below if this discussion group allows. As it turns out it looks like the text was accepted, but not the charts. Hopefully you can get the gist of it from the text.

Dividends
We frequently receive questions from our customers about dividends and how they are represented on our charts.

Dividends are a distribution of profits to the shareholders. A dividend can be distributed in the form of cash, stock, or product or it can be reinvested back into the company.

It is cash dividends that we are concerned with in this article since they are the most common cause of confusion. A cash dividend can vary in amount from a few pennies to a few dollars, though the latter is uncommon. When a distribution is made it alters the price of the stock, lowering it by the amount of the payout to the shareholders.

On a non-adjusted chart you will see a gap down where it occurred if the distribution is large enough. Most often the new trading price is the only change a chart will receive and that can lead to erroneous decision making.

(removed by Moderator) updates the chart so that all prices prior to the dividend are adjusted to take the dividend into account. This eliminates the gap from the dividend and also adjusts the data that is used in calculating technical indicators.

The chart above (from another service) shows Microsoft after its ex-dividend of $3 on November 17, 2004. Most charting companies do not make an adjustment for the dividend. If the distribution is large enough, you will see a gap down where that dividend occurred. This is not a realistic view of the chart, since the dividend has not been taken into account on the chart, and what might look like a very bad day for a stock might have actually been a good day. This chart has not been adjusted backward like the chart below.

This is the same (removed by Moderator) chart which shows adjusted data – you can easily see how the two charts differ especially in relation to the output of the PSAR (Parabolic Stop-and-Reversal) indicator. The first chart shows an immediate sell signal at the distribution because the data indicates a large drop in price.

The (removed by Moderator) chart shows a continued bullish direction and then reverses at a later date. An indicator is only as good as the data it receives. By back-adjusting the data, we are able to provide more accurate data for our indicators.

There are many positive reasons for a company to distribute dividends. It can provide tangible proof of a company’s success, and it can also show in the long-term benefits if a dividend is reinvested back into the stock.

If you look at the chart below you’ll see a comparison of the Dow Jones Industrial Average ($INDU) and the Diamonds Trust (DIA).

DIA has grown in value over time faster than $INDU because of dividend distributions (retained earnings) and has recently reached an all time high even though the corresponding index $INDU is not close to its all time high of January 2000.

There are many decisions which go into creating charts for technical analysis and how to represent dividend distributions is only one of the considerations. (removed by Moderator)prides itself on providing the best tools and data available for making effective trading decisions.

To view the charts mentioned above, start by going to (removed by Moderator).

(Removed by Moderator)

MSFT – a one year daily chart with PSAR (Click on the Tools menu, select Studies, and then Apply Studies)

DIA – a one year daily chart with a comparison chart of $INDU (click on the Tools menu, select Studies, and then Comparison Chart)

Topic: Using math with Criteria
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 12:06:15 PM
Is there a way to use:

Capitalization divided by Earnings

in an EasyScan?
Topic: Printing or Export results of a scan.
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2005 12:54:48 AM
Topic: Printing or Export results of a scan.
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2005 12:54:02 AM
I have a watch list with 131 stocks and symbol, name, and 4 conditions. This is the result of the Solid Dividends and Dividend Growth scan. How can I print or export this list and all the values of all the conditions? I know I can export the Open, High, Low and Close values for stocks in CSV format, but how can I get the results of a scan in CSV format or print it? If I can't print or export it, then how can I make use of the results?
Topic: Printing Export
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2005 5:57:15 PM
Is there a way to print or export the watchlist and all the information in the watchlist?
Topic: Replies to " Click the New Topic button to ask your question..."
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:38:12 PM
How do you decide whether or not to adjust the price of a stock for dividends? What critereia do you use and why not adjust for all dividends?