New version 17 available now

Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: 0002ct
About
User Name: 0002ct
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 90
[0.03% of all post / 0.18 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Price % difference from EMA divergence/convergence
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 4:30:05 PM

Before I did that, I just re-pasted the exact same existing formula in. It seemed to recalculate things and the correct flags are now showing. Note that the formula was not different, nor did I delete the column. I just pasted the same formula in the editing window on top of itself, then closed it. Just thought you should know.

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated.

Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:56:39 PM

No, I usually manually refresh from the main window. I did refresh before sending this to you and just now, and CEF persists.

The notepad paste contains the formulas taken directly out of the column's formula. I just confirmed them against the same two formulas in this thread -- they'r e the same.

This is a fund -- could that have anything to do with it?

Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:49:29 PM

It's possible that I'm not seeing well, but I wanted to show you anyhow.

"1 and 2" are copied directly out of the "Edit Condition" calculations for the columns, just to be sure.

http://imgur.com/a/tRjkB

Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:43:01 PM

Do you think it was simply not updated? Just curious, not to concerned about it.

Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:35:17 PM

Hello. I'm seeing a ticker return true for both "strength" and "fading". Is this possible? 
It's CEF.

Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:36:35 PM

Yes, I assumed it would be true/false. These are perfect. I appreciate your help -- the support brings incredible value to the platform. Thanks again.

Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:15:19 PM

Hello.
I use the following to track how far above or below price is to the EMA8. I use it as a column.
(C - XAVGC8 ) / ((C + XAVGC8) / 2)*100

This is helpful but doesn't really depict directionality. There are four conditions I'm interested that would better characterize the relationship between price direction and the EMA8.

I would like to track the trend of price on a 3-day basis in the following ways:

1. Price is above the EMA8 and diverging "further up and away" from the EMA8 over the last 3 days [strength]

2. Price is above the EMA8 and converging "down and toward" the EMA8 over the last 3 days [could fade]

3. Price is below the EMA8 and "converging upward" toward the EMA8 over the last 3 days [could build]

4. Price is below the EMA8 and "diverging further away" from the EMA8 over the last 3 days [weakness]

Do you have suggestions on how to build these? 
Thank you.

Topic: tendency to stay over EMA?
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:58:48 AM

Thank you for the clear explanation. As always, your help is appreciated.

Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:34:46 AM

Hi, Bruce. Thanks for yesterday's help. 

A few brief follow up questions:

1. What's the longest time available for the evaluation period (below example is using 200 days)?
  2. Is it possible to do something similar for intraday? I don't need how yet, just a yes/no.
  3. The example you provided counts oscillations to either side of the EMA (which is what I wanted). To do just one side, say counting "crosses above 8EMA" only, would the formula look bethe following?

CountTrue(XUP(C, XAVGC8) AND SinceTrue(XUP(C, XAVGC8), 10) >= 3, 200)

Thanks very much.

Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:32:31 AM

Hi, Bruce. Thanks for yesterday's help. 

A few brief follow up questions:

1. What's the longest time available for the evaluation period (below is using 200 days)?
  2. Is it possible to do something similar for intraday? I don't need how yet, just a yes/no.
  3. The below counts oscillations to either side of the EMA (which is what I wanted). To do just one side, say counting "crosses above 8EMA" only, would the formula look like the following?

CountTrue(XUP(C, XAVGC8) AND SinceTrue(XUP(C, XAVGC8), 10) >= 3, 200)

Thaks very much.