Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: osterlundp
About
User Name: osterlundp
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: On creating a PCF
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 4:49:13 PM

Thanks so much. You guys are phenomenal.
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2005 12:41:37 PM

Thanks again, Bruce. For some reason, I'm not finding that EasyScan offers the opportunity to scan by BB width or or the 60 DMA. That is, when I click on "add new conditions" I get roster of maybe fifty or so conditions, none of which involves BB and only one of which involves a moving average (10 day crossing 200 day). Clearly, I'm missing something here (besides what's missing between my ears, that is).

On the PCF front, I'm still trying to parse this out. Let's say I wanted to screen for stocks using a 5 period, one standard deviation BB in a Boolean formula, again with price vs. 60 sma (above 60 for longs, below 60 for shorts). Am I correct in assuming the PCF would then be...

longs

(C-AVGC5+1*SQR((C^2 +C1^2 +C2^2 +C3^2 +C4^2 +C5^2-5*AVGC5^2)/4))/3/SQR((C^2 +C1^2 +C2^2 +C3^2 +C4^2 +C5^2-5*AVGC5^2)/4)>.7 C/AVGC60

shorts

C-AVGC5+1*SQR((C^2 +C1^2 +C2^2 +C3^2 +C4^2 +C5^2-5*AVGC5^2)/4))/3/SQR((C^2 +C1^2 +C2^2 +C3^2 +C4^2 +C5^2-5*AVGC5^2)/4)>.3 C/AVGC60

?

If this is correct, what does the /3/ in the middle of the formular refer to? And is there some kind of comprehensive, systematic tutorial to be found on creating PCFs?

You're a patient man, sir, and I'm grateful.
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 10:21:11 PM
Thanks so much, Bruce! Now I'm trying to graduate to something a little more complex. Might you be able to offer some guidance here as well?

Here's what I'm trying to do. I want to set Bollinger Bands with 18 periods and 1.5 standard deviations. Then I want to screen for stocks using the following criteria...

long for stocks over the 60 dma, where the following formula

(closing price - lower bollinger band value)/(upper bollinger band value - lower bollinger band value) > 0.7

short for stocks under the 60 dma where the exact same formula is < .03

Is this "pcf-able"? Might you be able to offer a few pointers here? This is just frying my simple little brain as I get used to the pcf conventions

Thanks (again) so much for your help.

Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 9:14:47 PM

Hi -- I'm afraid I'm asking a really basic question here. I wish to create a PCF identifying equities trading at a 20 period RSI of less than 40. I'm using a wilder smoothed-RSI here, so am I correct in assuming that the formula would be...

[RSI formula]<40C?

or would it be

C[RSI formula]<40?

or do I not need a "C" at all.

I'm so confused...

Thanks for your help.
Topic: Modeling "Pure" Wilder's RSI in PCF's
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 11:56:12 AM

Thank you-thank you-thank you!!!
Topic: Modeling "Pure" Wilder's RSI in PCF's
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 6:02:10 AM
Hi -- Thanks for all your work on this...and now, in the spirit of "never enough" ()would it be possible to get a formula for a 20 period RSI????

Sheepishly and gratefully submitted...
Topic: question about wilder's smoothing and personal criteria formulas
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 8:23:06 PM

Hi -- I'm trying to write some pcfs that involve wilder-smoothed rsi. I'm told however that the pcfs cannot use wilder's smoothing in their calculations. Is that correct? If so, are you aware of any ways around this?

Thanks much for your help.