Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: looseaverse
About
User Name: looseaverse
Groups: Gold User, Member, Platinum User, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 21
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Condition from SMA "Moving UP %" questions.
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 5:29:58 PM

On 30 min chart, I use a 65 period SMA labeled 5 DMA.  I created a condition from chart for
Moving up .01%, Time Frame 30 Minute, Period 1.

Then I created the same thing but with Period 7 they behave identically when in columns.

Question is:  Is that test looking for the % change in the most recent 30 minute period or if not, what is it testing for?  Perhaps the change from 65 period before to the current value?

Thanks for clarification.

Topic: Unsing named 5DMA in a condition.
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 4:58:16 PM

Bruce,

Thanks for the information.  Another bit of clarification please.

Considering the condition created from the 30 min chart, of " 5 DMA > VWAP".  Now the 5 DMA is the name I gave the 65 period SMA on the 30 minute chart.  On the 10 minute chart I also use the same name, 5 DMA, but actually is a 195 period SMA. 

If I change the period of a column having that condition, from 30 minutes to 10 minutes, is the 5 DMA executed with the 65 period (corresponding to 30 minute bars) or 195 period SMA (corresponding to the 10 minute bars)?

Thanks,

Jim.

Topic: Unsing named 5DMA in a condition.
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:03:47 PM

I create a 5 day moving average on charts of different times (5, 10, 30 min, etc.) .  These are of course calculated with different numbers of bars. 

When I create a condition 5 DMA > VWAP with a 10 minute bar interval, a question:

If I have that condition in a column of a watch list then then view charts at different bar intervals, 1m, 5m, 30m etc. Will the 5DMA be calculated as I have it on the 10 minute chart or as it is shown on the chart I am viewing (could be 1m, 5m, 15m, 30m etc.)?

I have seen some inconsistency in how this appears to be executed so that is why I am asking. 

PS:  It would be really good to have a way to edit conditions I create.  That way I could check if I made I mistake and also recall how I did it. 

Topic: Clarification on "Period" & "Time Frame" in Create Scan Condition
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 11:19:49 AM

Oh my, I have been assuming that price above VWAP would be tested as above the VWAP line plotted on my chart.  What I am understanding from what you wrote is that the VWAP used in SCAN or Condition test is calucled independently from that I use to plot VWAP on my charts. 

For example - am I correct: I have a 1 minute chart with the VWAP indicator plotted.  If I add condition column testing for VWAP greater than price with Time Period 30 minutes, then that is not going test that price has been greater than the VWAP plot.  But is instead going to test the VWAP calculated over the prvious 30 minutes to the most current 1 minute bar close price. 

What I am trying to do look for situations where closing or low price has been above VWAP continuously for a period of time.  Not sure I can do that with the TC2000.

What really would be better is to have a test that flags when the price is increasing faster than the VWAP on a slope basis.  Such indicates a very strong stock and low risk for day trade. Need to be able to see this stuff early in the day. 

The other thing I am trying to do is identify those stocks in my list of MOMO stocks that is starting a robust opeing drive.  Those opportunities between 9:30 and 10:30 oftern account for most of the day's movement but they hard to find in the rush of first 10 minutes or sometime 5 minutes. 

Fundamentally, TC2000 is designed for picking investment or medium term swing trade stocks and not intraday opportunities.

Any suggestions?

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 10:24:49 AM

Thanks,

Another question along the similar lines: 

If I create scan condition for Price, to be above VWAP, what is the significance of Time Frame. 

If for example, Time Frame is 10 minutes, is that condition true if the price is above VWAP for the entier 10 minutes, or at any time during the 10 minute period or something else?

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 8:21:17 AM

When creating a scan condition for "Moving Up %" I see a window that has both a "Period" and a "Time Frame" selection.

<My understanding is that "Time Frame" is bar duration (1 min, 10 min etc) and Period is the number oif bars.  Is this correct?

So the question:  When the test is performed for 0.1% change, over what time span is that test performed.  To be more specific:

1. If the Period is 10 and the Time Frame is 1 min and the % Change is .1%, then is the value 10 minutes befdore compared to the value now and the result true if that is greater than .1% of the value 10 minutes ago?
  2. Is Period 10 and Time Frame 1 min the same as Period 1 and Time Frame 10 min?

Please advise how the Perios and Time Frame should be used.  One way to interpret this is that the test in (1) above would require .1% change in each of 10 periods or in any of 10 periods. You see the ambiguity here.

Please clarify.

Topic: When do conditions from PCFs execute?
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:28:59 PM

Slightly different subject.  I have created a confition VWAP UP +02% in 2 min.  When I apply that to a scan it gets changed to VWAP Price History moving up - 2 minute.  The edit is that for the pre-built Price Surge, with the TimeFrame 2 Minutes and that slider which goes from Slowly on the left ot Very Fast on the right.  It is set a Slowly (which I have figured out is actually fast moving price value).

I don&#39;t understand why it changed the definition of the condition I wanted to use.  I don&#39;t know if these are equivalent or not.

It looks like I can put the condition in the scan as a column with check marks etc.

Topic: When do conditions from PCFs execute?
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:09:25 PM

I put columns on a watchllist with a condition I wrote as PCF.  Update says manual. 

Those columns that have conditions made from the chart have update that says Real Time.

In a watch list that is not scanning do I have to refresh the those custom PCF condition colunns?

If the PCF condition is used in an Easy Scan, that is scanned to a window and streaming selected, is it being updated in real time?

Topic: Moving Up Smart
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:43:06 PM

OK, More mystery here.  I don&#39;t know just what you mean by symbols passing. To me a symbol is a stock with associated price. Passing probably means some filter or duration of time.

It actually seems to catch rapit moves with the slider over to the left, in any event.

Topic: Moving Up Smart
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:23:24 PM

I don&#39;t know if this is being monitored as it is an old topic. But I have played around with various Moving Up Smart settings.  What baffles me is the meaning oif the slider.  Slowly responds to fast moves (big changes in a few minutes (intraday with Platinum).  But moving the slider to the Fast or Very Fast, and the period even 1 week, it never triggers.  That is on a stock that has moved several %.  I never found a setting oif the slider that gave any results on any time frame other than to the left of Fast and even to Slowly.

An explanation of what moving the slider should change what it triggers on whould be helpful.