Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: aluisa
About
User Name: aluisa
Groups: Member
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 70
[0.02% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Scanning for hammers in a specific timeframe
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 1:14:36 PM
Taking your advice I changed the value based criteria for all conditions to use the "in between" variable. That seems to have solved the issue.  2 questions. 
Is there a link to Julia's updated PCFs for candles based on her October 2011 seminar "Targeting the bottom of a pullback"

Also, is there a way to have conditions that are sorting a watchlist change timeframe by simply clicking on a different timeframe chart.  Basically having a watchlist linking to a timeframe.  That would eliminate have to create separate timeframe based conditions, You could create a global condition and when it is used as a sort column its timeframe would change with the active chart when you choose the "linked" option.
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 11:15:58 AM
The ranges are:
Candle range as % of average   Ranks  75% to Max
Body center as % of shadow  > 75
Body as % of shadow    between  Min 1  and Max 30

The parameters I want are identical for any timeframe scan.  I created duplicate conditions for those 3 PCFs based on a 5 min timeframe and plugged those into a separate 5 min scan, so the scan would be specific for that timeframe.  I notice now that the daily scan returns 55 item on all US stocks (scan results look right on).
The 5 min scan with the same conditions on US stocks doesn't return any hits.  I would expect to see at least a few results on the 5 min when the daily is showing 55.
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 10:51:03 AM
I'm using Version 12.   The PCFs  I'm using as conditions in the scan are: 
Body as % of shadow                    ABS(C - O) / (H - L) * 100
Body center as % of shadow       (((C + O) / 2) - L) / (H - L) * 100
Candle Range as % of average    (H-L)/(AVGH21-AVGL21)*100

I think I know the problemn. It was after market hours and I'm interested in the last 5 min bar of the session that just closed, but I'm trying to scan for the current 5 min bar.  There is not usually a current 5 min bar after hours. I'm not sure how to scan for the last bar of the previous session.

Also,where do you find Ver 12 beta?
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:12:26 PM
Hope I explain this correctly. I created a scan to look for hammer candles.  The scan consists of 3 separate conditions which were first created as PDF indicators and added as conditions for the scan.  When the indicators were created they had a timeframe attributed to them.  When they were added to the scan as conditions I was able to edit the parameters (ie. center of body as % of shadow)  The scan runs great and returns relevant candles in the daily timeframe.  

I just can't figure out how to run the same scan for a 5 min timeframe.  I tried recreating the same individual indicators using a 5 min timeframe and adding them as conditions (with the same parameters) for a new scan, but running the new scan and checking the 5 minute timeframe only returns 1 incorrect looking hammer.  The first scan with the same parameters on a daily timeframe shows 47 stocks with hammers correctly showing
bodies maxsize 30% of shadow with body center located above 75%.  The scan on a 5 minute timeframe returns only 1 stock with a hammer with body at bottom of the candle.  Any ideas?  Can you not run scans looking for stocks on a specific timeframe?
Topic: Optimizing Speed of program
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:03:58 PM
Was there ever a thread on speed optimization for running SF5;  i.e.  general tips on what not to do or what you should do regarding number of charts, number of indicators, how often they refresh, do watchlists tax resources if they are not currently the open list., etc.
Topic: Creating watchlist of ETFs
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:24:23 PM
Thank you; now I see it.
Topic: Creating watchlist of ETFs
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 5:59:09 PM
This might be simple but I can't figure out how to add all ETFs to a watchlist so I can sort them by conditions.
Topic: Question about indicators
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 2:19:52 PM
Thanks Bruce. Have a nice weekend!
Topic: Question about indicators
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 2:13:04 PM
I was wondering if there was any way with RealCode to put 2 indicators from different time frames on one chart. For example, if i have a 5 minute chart up with its 5  minute stochastic, can I also put a 1 minute
stochastic on the same chart.  That way, I can monitor 2 stochastics on the same chart and use it as a trade singnal when they happen to be in synch.
Topic: Painting an indicator
Posted: Monday, March 1, 2010 12:09:25 PM
That worked fine. Thanks Bruce.