Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: steppingstoneent
About
User Name: steppingstoneent
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Multiple Moving Average Relationships
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:28:07 PM

I haven't tried them yet, but they look reasonable and workable.  THANK YOU!

Topic: Multiple Moving Average Relationships
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:09:43 PM

I've checked a bunch of the discussions and postings about PCFs but I haven't seen anything that might allow me to "scan" for when MULTIPLE moving averages are simply CLOSE to each other, vs. actually being or crossing above/below.

For example, the 10, 20 and 50 Day Simple Moving Averages are within 1% of each other ,or 2% of each other (in a tightening/overlapping range). Similar to Bollinger Bands getting narrow prior to a breakout/breakdown, I'm interested in doing this for 3 moving averages.

Any advice, insights or formulas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Topic: Average True Range PCF
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 2:46:03 PM

First, you're damn fast.

Second, you're pretty dope at this. (That's a good thing.)

Third, I'm giddy!

THANK YOU!

Topic: Average True Range PCF
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 6:38:33 AM

I would like to create a similar/related VALUE column that shows what % of price the 30 day ATR is. 

For example, if a stock costs $100, and the 30 day ATR is 2.50 - the column would show 2.5%.  Ideally I could then (obviously) sort the column of a watchlist AND/OR scan for the condition when the 30 day ATR VALUE is greater than or less than x% of price.

Thanks to another discussion board, I already have the formula for this second piece (the scanning of the condition  - see below):

(100*((AVGH15 - AVGL15) / 2 + (ABS(H - C1) + ABS(C1 - L) + ABS(H1 - C2) + ABS(C2 - L1) + ABS(H2 - C3) + ABS(C3 - L2) + ABS(H3 - C4) + ABS(C4 - L3) + ABS(H4 - C5) + ABS(C5 - L4) + ABS(H5 - C6) + ABS(C6 - L5) + ABS(H6 - C7) + ABS(C7 - L6) + ABS(H7 - C8) + ABS(C8 - L7) + ABS(H8 - C9) + ABS(C9 - L8) + ABS(H9 - C10) + ABS(C10 - L9) + ABS(H10 - C11) + ABS(C11 - L10) + ABS(H11 - C12) + ABS(C12 - L11) + ABS(H12 - C13) + ABS(C13 - L12) + ABS(H13 - C14) + ABS(C14 - L13) + ABS(H14 - C15) + ABS(C15 - L14)) / 30)/C) > 4.0

This above formula is set to scan for when the ATR is greater than 4% of price, and it works just fine.  However, again, I would like to get a column specifically dedicated to showing the 30 day ATR's % of price as a VALUE.

I hope that makes sense and thanks in advance!

Topic: Scanning for x% above or below a moving average?
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 11:58:13 PM
It seems pretty straight forward but I couldn't seem to find it anywhere...

I'd like to scan (whatever universe of stocks, ETFs, etc) for stocks that are, for example 20% above their RESPECTIVE 20DMA.  How can I do that?  Not just above or below, or crossing, or moving averages that are crossing.  20% below the any MA  (incl. exponential 37 if I wanted, etc).

Hopefully I can just add price, volume and other criteria as well, but I know how to do that already.
THANKS!
Topic: Using PRICE VOLATILITY as indicator/colum?
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 5:24:37 AM
Thank you Bruce for that relatively thorough and very thoughtful response.  It's certainly the most complete answer that I've seen to date. Unfortunately, it still falls quite short of what I've come to expect from your great company.

Notably, over the past few years I've seen dozens of trainer-presented webinars defining and explaining the meaning and potential ways of using several indicators (moving averages, candlesticks and the Ichimoku cloud - just to name a few). Based on the links you've provided above, I'm going to take the time to visit them all and hopefully find the answers that I'm looking for.  Having read many of your responses to other topics on the discussion board, I think this is likely.

Having said that, perhaps the distinction is that Worden trainers "cannont give settings, interpretation or investment advice", but they have actually had GUEST SPEAKERS give presentations on how to interpret and use many of the indicators provided by your great software platform. As this may be the case, perhaps another guest speaker can be found to explain the purpose of, and possible applications for Price Volatility calculations and their respective results. Obviously, I'm still unclear on the practicality of this information.

Either way, no worries.  No harm, no foul.  I'll be sure to keep you posted on my progress as I continue to seek out how other people employ this information in their trading as it may also be helpful in mine.  Again, I trust that the links you've provided above will shed some light on this for me.

Thanks, have a great weekend, and be well!
Dave
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 7:12:12 PM
I appreciate the help but I was able to find the literal definition of Pricie Volatility via the Worden Chat Support earlier today.

I guess what I'm specifically asking about is what is the purpose of (and hence the best way to use) the data provided to enhance my scanning results for better trading opportunities.

Thanks
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 6:07:14 PM
I understand price and volatility as two different concepts/items separately, but I'm curious as to how the combined "price volatility" data point (and values), as they are defined by Worden here, are ideally supposed be used/helpful.

I'm a big fan of volume spikes and I love the Volume Buzz and Volume Surge indicators but it seems like this "Price Volatility" thing could also come in handy, especially with potential option trades, etc.

Any and all insights would be helpful ... and thanks in advance.
Topic: Eye on the markets
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 3:48:47 AM
It seems like you called (at least initially anyway) today's (Thursday's) fall pretty accurately.  The market started over 100pts down and grinded it's way back into positive territory.  With that said, how did you predict, on MONDAY what the market was going to do on Thursday?

What time frame are do you generally work on to see chart patterns that are so (seemingly) clear and predictive?

Thanks
Topic: Sector Rotation
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:48:17 PM
Good afternoon APsll,

As trader, I tend to focus more so on ETFs than individual stocks and as a result, my watch list is primarily based on which SECTORS are performing the best (or worst).  Additionally, because I like to get more bang for my buck, I've limited my MAIN watch list to the levaged (2x and 3x) ETFs as well as the often inherent bullish/bearish counter parts.  So right now my list is close to about 30 different ETFs but I'm only watching about 12 sectors because I'm including the 2x and 3x bullish-bearish versions, etc.

To keep things simple, I just sort the whole list to see which ETFs have the best percentage return over daily, weekly, monthly and 3-month periods, and I go long on the winners or short the losers.  Obviously, with the bullish and bearish ETFs on my list, everything gets polarized to the upside or downside, but if I stay focused on the ETFs/sectors than are making the largest percentage moves over ___X___ time period, then I can make some good profits.

I know this doesn't say much with regards to using Worden's charting or anything but strategically it's been something that I've found to work well at finding the strongest/weakest sectors.