Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: willem koot
About
User Name: willem koot
Groups: Gold User, Member, Platinum User, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 6
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: ATR percentage today
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:39:49 AM

Dear Bruce,

Could you give an example how i make an indicator of today's/ present ATR value,  as a percentage of closing price, I will use it in the daily. Then I can make scans for selection within Russell2000, but also put this indicator in a daily chart to see volatility development.

So ATR value as of today, divided by price >>> as a percentage of price.

My efforts keep giving me syntax errors.

(F.e. ATR/C*100 did not work. What mistake do I make then), not experienced enough.

Regards,

Willem

Topic: create a condition LR13 with multiple days
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:45:36 AM

QUOTE (willem koot)
could you please respond to this issue please: march 10, 9.39.19

Exhaustion measure of strong weekly trend.

I want to assess/ scan within market groups or in a larger market:  if and when a strong uptrend on the weekly might get "exhausted" or "may turn around".

So make 2 separate conditions to be combined, and later analogy: for downtrend.

Definition1: 

"strong trend" exists if and when the EMA20 (weeks) is moving up for EVERY one of the last 8 weeks, no period excluded (flat or down).

Definition 2:

Crossing down. = EMA3 (3 periods/weeks) is crossing DOWN the ema20 on ANY OF THE LAST 3 weeks. So not just now, as soon as in 1 period it was-is crossing. 

So:

Where did the ema3 cross down recently with a fairly strong trend as defined?Again this needs a condition for scanning. 

Then combine both.

Hope this is clear enough to  see my problem: not just a "move up" category now or a "crossing now", but defining "recently" in a rigorous manner for my purpose.

How to make this scan?

Willem

Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 9:39:19 AM

Exhaustion measure of strong weekly trend.

I want to assess/ scan within market groups or in a larger market:  if and when a strong uptrend on the weekly might get "exhausted" or "may turn around".

So make 2 separate conditions to be combined, and later analogy: for downtrend.

Definition1: 

"strong trend" exists if and when the EMA20 (weeks) is moving up for EVERY one of the last 8 weeks, no period excluded (flat or down).

Definition 2:

Crossing down. = EMA3 (3 periods/weeks) is crossing DOWN the ema20 on ANY OF THE LAST 3 weeks. So not just now, as soon as in 1 period it was-is crossing. 

So:

Where did the ema3 cross down recently with a fairly strong trend as defined?Again this needs a condition for scanning. 

Then combine both.

Hope this is clear enough to  see my problem: not just a "move up" category now or a "crossing now", but defining "recently" in a rigorous manner for my purpose.

How to make this scan?

Willem

Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 9:26:29 AM

LR13 question march 7

Bruce, I am sorry that my idea was not clear enough. Not very concvenient but you picked the error out of my thinking, thanks.

I am making a multiple condition scan with the idea of "strong trend exhausting" on the weekly, for which I took a regression line (best average line) for 13 weeks as an indicator.

But you are totally right: the LR Line of today has nothing to do with that of yesterdays. I forgot that the line is creates backwardly of course, so the whole idea is false. Moving LR is not the subject indeed.

After making this condition, I wanted to cross this line with EMA20 the last three weeks.

So: with LR13 makes no sense, I have to replace LR13 by something else.

My problem stays the same: measuring if and when every period the indicator has the same behavior.

"strong trend" definition: the EMA20 (weeks) is moving up for EVERY one of the last 8 weeks, no period excluded (flat or down). How to get that.

I shall make a new posted question and this one included a mistaken view of LR13.

Willem

Posted: Friday, March 7, 2014 6:29:21 AM

I am working on a multiple condition scan using LR13, lin regression of the trend on my Weekly.

Have created "LR13 moving up" with your standard preformatted categories from the chart > create a scan etc. Works fine because regression line already covers multiple bar trend, in this case 13 weeks.

Created "LR13 crossing down EMA20" and the system chooses W1 added to the title of the condition.

But I want to find the crossing down between the LR13 and EMA20 (exp mov avr) on ANY of the last 3 weeks on the weekly. Then compare it scanning with ANY of the last 5 weeks a crossing down. So: "whenever there has been, or is, a crossing down in the last 3 weeks, show me the results"

This includes the present week, I take that.

Can you help me making this condition

1. how to do this with preformatted catagories in the system working from charts?

2. I am happy to learn syntax and write a condition if necessary, but can you then suggest me how? Is there a syntax manual or video (I have seen the interesting Writing Cust Cond The Basics). Is that possible with indicators?

REgards.

Willem