Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: dcostello
About
User Name: dcostello
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 39
[0.01% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: AFN
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 12:23:14 PM

I just took a position in AFN.  It's got a 30+% Div yld and the chart is starting to look interesting. 

Topic: Replies to "TeleChart and Windows Vista"
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 2:12:41 PM
Should everyone apply the 6.0.0053 patch or only if you're on Win Vista?
Topic: Weekly version of the following pcf
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:02:38 AM
Sorry. I should have known it was there. It was just a little hard to find. Guess I'm really gonna have to get those glasses. Thanks again.
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 5:36:49 AM
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't mean to question but does the formula you made include the XMA13 > XMA13.1? I only ask because I didn't see the 'and' in your forumla and it looks very much like the ones in the link you referred me to, very interesting reading thanks.

Dave
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 2:04:14 PM
Hi,

Would it be possible to have this pcf converted so that it works on weekly charts?

(xavgc13 > xavgc13.1) and ((XAVGC12-XAVGC26)-(XAVG(XAVGC12,9)-XAVG(XAVGC26,9)) > (XAVGC12.1-XAVGC26.1)-(XAVG(XAVGC12.1,9)-XAVG(XAVGC26.1,9)))

I use it as a percent true custom indicator on daily charts and it works fine. It compares xma13 today vs yesterday and MACD12.26.9 today vs yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Topic: Elder's Implulse system?
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 1:00:38 PM
Here's one way of doing Elder's Impulse. It uses a percent true indicator. You can search here for percent true and find out more about the indicator. Anyway, the formula below is for a long indicator, reverse the > signs and you'll have the short version. Plot each as a custom percent true indicator. Use green for the color on the long version and red as the color on the short. You'll see the lines go 'high' for when the conditions are true and stay 'high' until they change. I haven't used Impluse exclusivly to trade but it's signals aren't bad, depending on what type of stocks you're trading.

(xavgc13 > xavgc13.1) and ((XAVGC12-XAVGC26)-(XAVG(XAVGC12,9)-XAVG(XAVGC26,9)) > (XAVGC12.1-XAVGC26.1)-(XAVG(XAVGC12.1,9)-XAVG(XAVGC26.1,9)))
Topic: RVBD, a Cramer fav...
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2007 7:25:11 AM
I think it helps to keep perspective on Cramer and what his job really is. His job, or his shows job, is to sell advertising space for the network. Commercial TV exists for/because of the commercials. Cramer will stay on the air as long as his ratings are strong and thus his add rates are high. How he keeps/builds an audience? Well, that's the big question in the TV biz.

That being said, I've benefitted from Cramer's advice. Not directly but as a side benefit. I've found myself in several positions before Cramer found them and have benefitted from his pump.

One interesting thing he published is his cyclical chart, for lack of a better term. Next time you're in a bookstore, look in his Real Money book for it.
Topic: the power of a divergence?
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:19:19 PM
hohandy: You might want to look for Elder's first book, Trading For A Living. It gives some additional detail not found in Come Into My Trading Room.

Topic: Watch List Tracking stopped working
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 1:16:00 PM
My Watch List tracking seems to have stopped working. It appears to not be getting todays prices. In the Watch List Tracking, all my closes are 0.00. In Today's Prices everything, HLOC and V, are all 0. It's been working fine until now. Any thoughts?
Topic: the power of a divergence?
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:58:22 AM
I agree with rmr in that you can't just trade divergences, like you can't just trade any other single signal. Confirmation is needed, entries and exits planned, etc. I tend to use MACD divergences as warnings/confirmations of trend reversals or continuations and then use other indicators to enter/exit a trade.

Continuing with GS. Pull up a weekly chart with MACD histo 12/26/9. I have mine set to zoom 5 at the moment. Starting on the left, AMJ 06, you can watch price work its way down long with MACD until we print some very nice doji's as price flattens. Notice, however, the rise in MACD. Do we trade now? All depends on your trading style, agressiveness, risk aversion, etc. If you follow along, price makes higher highs and MACD rises accordingly. The divergence in AMJ JAS 07 is one that would attract my attention. Price runs up nicely in A07, capping a year long run from A06. The we drop into a flat range but notice the MACD slowly creeping up while price flounders. 9/14 we print a very nice candle and MACD crosses positive. We're also getting close to a 52 week high and are looking to complete at least a Pan/Saucer pattern or possibly a Cup and Handle pattern. Do we trade now? That's up to your style.