Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: GrahamSanJose
About
User Name: GrahamSanJose
Groups: Beta Testers, Member, Platinum User, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 22
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: TC Date sorely in need of cleaning
Posted: Friday, November 4, 2005 12:48:09 PM
Understand the positive to positive requirement, but....

For my 4 specific examples:
V, VPI, ASML, PDFS

My other data sources (IBD, Fidelity) show 8 quarters of positive EPS data. (6 for PDFS). In all these cases I expected to find full EPS %change entries but don't.

V - has none
VPI - missing 3rd Qtr Back and year
ASML - missing all but latest Qtr
PDFS - missing all but latest Qtr

Perhaps a difference in data provided by your vendor?
Or my sources are wrong?
If I find these 4 examples easily are there others?

Sorry I confused the issue by listing too many stocks.

Also can you tell me if the "EPS percent change latest YR" is based on the past 4 quarters or based on FY to FY?

Thanks.

Topic: TC Date sorely in need of cleaning
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2005 3:16:59 PM
My query is about the EPS data quality.

I am trying to use some of the EPS fields in an easyscan to filter out companies with poor results.

I am frustrated by what seems to me a very large number of ticker symbols that have N/A when I think there is, in fact, data available for them. Some tickers have data for yearly EPS but not for the quarters, some have annual earnings data entered, but no % change fields entered.

As a specific example. Use the following list as a watchlist, then put all of the EPS change values and Earnings values into 8 columns in the watchlist. All of these tickers have over a year of price data, they have some value in the Earnings 1YR column, but the rest of the columns seem very inconsistent to me.

Can you help me understand why? I happen to have started with stocks showing a volume surge today and then selected those with no entry in the EPS % change 1yr column as the example.

In general I wouldn't care, because I don't want to look at companies that don't have good data available for EPS, but it seems to me I'm missing some good quality companies using this approach.

To be VERY specific: Why is data missing for V, VPI, ASML, and PDFS just to pick a few.

Thanks!!

------------
ABGX
ACTU
ACUS
ADZA
AIX
AIZ
ASML
ATPG
BFR
BFT
BKHM
BLT
BMD
BRLC
BTUI
CTRX
CUTR
CVO
DRRX
ECIL
ELOS
GCOM
GOL
HDSN
HEB
ICGE
ICON
IED
IINT
IMA
LMIA
MIM
NMTI
PDFS
PKD
PLA
PWEI
Q
RRI
SNMX
TEO
TFSM
TNOX
TQNT
URGI
V
VECO
VPI
XMSR
Topic: cumulative indicator for price/volume relationships
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 3:04:03 PM
Thanks Bruce.

That does it.

I find I can do an indicator sort on the Actual Value of your formula to get what I'm looking for.

The formula needs an extra set of parens I believe:
((C<C1 AND V>AVGV50*3) - (C>C1+.5 and V>AVGV50*1.5))*252

Now to play with the values and see if this is useful....

ps.
I still don't understand why the "Actual Value" sort on the cumulative indicator I started with does not sort on the value as displayed. It seems to actually only sort on the past 2 or 3 days of data, not the chart as displayed..... ah well, irrelevant for now.

Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 2:13:47 PM
Thanks! but....
Using visual sort with those formulas results in most of the list at 100% - all the lines trend up.
I'm trying to sort by the VALUE of the indicator as displayed to the right of the chart to see which has the highest actual count of up days, but the sort value displayed does not seem to track the chart scale values. Is that possible?

Perhaps there is a better way to accomplish what I want? Count the number of days up recently with over $.5 move and volume over 150% of 50 day average. (an approximation of the IBD "Stocks on the Move" tables.)

Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 1:09:27 PM
I am trying to use something similar to this to simply count recent big volume up days.
My starting formula (tune later) to test are:

up condition:
c>c1+.5 and v>avg(v,50)*1.5

down condition:
c<c1 and v>avg(v,50)* 3

value to add/subtract

1) When I use this I get an indicator, but I can't tell how far back in time the indicator starts - it seems to change depending on what is displayed - can you tell me what date is used to start the accumulation?

2) I would like to use this indicator as a sort. I tried it with actual value sort but it does not seem to work for me. I only get values of +- 0, 1, or 2 in the sort field display of the watchlist window, instead of the values displayed on the chart scale of the indicator. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Topic: Replies to "Definitions of all built in scanning and sorting criteria"
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 12:48:36 PM
Is there a standard definition for some of the timescales used?
Example:
You define 30 day price trend vs market with a formula that actually uses the price from 4 weeks ago. (which I would have said was 20 days). So does that mean 4x5=20 bars (days) earlier, or does it use some other method.

In other cases there is mention of week, month, year etc and I am wondering if, in fact, all of these timescales are really simply a fixed definition of xx bars on a daily chart. That would mean it ignores trading holidays, etc.

Thanks.

Topic: Real Time Sorting for Day Trading Stocks
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 7:55:06 PM
Thanks for the Customer Indicator sort approach and formulas.

But...

Can you suggest a use for the "sort by Volume RT" ability?
It seems to me this is a wasted sort by variable that should be replaced with Volume Surge RT value or somehow take average volume into account. What is the value in sorting by "Volume RT"? I suppose this really belongs in suggestions....

I had the same question - so adding to this thread, thanks.

R.