Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

No results from option scan Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
wasilev
Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 10:32:04 AM

I'm trying to learn how to scan option chains and wrote an EsayScan to report Open Interest > 0; i.e.

List to Scan: Option Chain

Open Interest > 0

However, 0 items are reported in WatchList

I'm running TC2000 17 on Windows 10 under Gold subscription level.

TIA,

Walter

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 11:17:14 AM

Worden Trainer

I am pretty sure this requires using the TC2000 v18 beta and not TC2000 v17.

Make sure you are checking Scan and adding any conditions based on the option chain there.

If you add the conditions to the Underlying Symbol box, it will check the underlying symbol and not the option. And since the underlying symbol doesn't have any open interest, it can't return true.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
wasilev
Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 11:49:05 AM

Thanks, Bruce, How do I get to v18? I thought there was an option in System Settings to try beta, but it's not there. I just uninstalled v17 and d/l a new copy and I still don't see an option for beta. 

How can I get the v18 beta version?

Walter

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 11:59:41 AM

Worden Trainer

Click on Tools > System Settings > General (tab) > Scroll to bottom and choose Always ask to run Beta

If you are not receiving the Beta version when selecting that option or if the option does not appear, right click the desktop icon > open file location > right click startsettings.dat > delete.

If the file isn't there to delete and you still aren't given the option of which program to use, then please contact technical support.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
wasilev
Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 12:17:31 PM

Ok, deleting startsettings.dat got me to v18 beta. The General tab setting wasn't available.

I now have scans working for the selected underlying stock. 

Is there a way to scan the option chains for *all* underlyings in a watchlist? 

Asking for a friend.

Thank you,

Walter

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 12:39:19 PM

Worden Trainer

No, not really. There is going to be a limit of 10,000 options being scanned no matter what WatchList, Days, Strikes, and Calls & Puts settings are used.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
zentrades
Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:24:40 PM

Tricky. It took me forever to figure out why some options I knew for a fact fit my scan parameters weren't showing up. That 10,000 limit sounds like a lot until one realizes if you scan 500 optionable stocks it really limits the days to expiration and strikes that can be scanned. It also isn't "alphabetical" for some reason. No logic it seems to how it truncates the scan.

For example, my scan looks for option delta between .68 and .78, open interest >200 and price <8 on a CBOE most active watchlist with 500 stocks.  I knew FDC to be delta OK, price OK, open interest OK and yet it WOULD NOT show up on the scan list until I got the perfect number of strikes adjusted- too few and no dice, too many and no dice. It left out some longer term ones. Yikes.

Any chance this could be increased somehow?

One fix is if we could scan by expiration days range...that right there would help IMMENSIVELY as iright now it gives me very short time periods I don't even want eating up the 10,000 spaces available for the scan.

Rick

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 8:33:48 AM

Worden Trainer

Thank you for your suggestion.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles