Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

How to Express # bars of an Exponential Moving Average in a TC2000 Scan Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
wbunn
Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:08:53 AM

For example: I'm trying to scan for an Exponetial 50 bar MA  > Exponential 15 Bar MA

but cannot seem to get the PCF notation correct.  Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:12:33 AM

Worden Trainer

Please try the following:

XAVGC50 > XAVGC15

Exponential Moving Averages of Price and Volume
Relational Operators (Conditions)

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
wbunn
Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:50:49 AM

Thanks Bruce.   I've tried this format but the scan returns approximatley 50% incorrect results, ie

the 50 bar exponential is not greater than the 15 bar exponential about half of the time, according to the visual chart display and the selected bar numerical results box .   I thought possibly the 50 and 15 portion of the expressions referred to the number of past bars but your example indicates differently.

You must be correct but I dont understand my results.  Usually I've found the reason for this was the selected chart period did not match the PCF search period, but I have used  a "daily" period for borh.   Do you have any suggestions why I'm getting  so many incorrect results?

This is the exact PCF Scan I'm Using:

XavgC9 < XavgC15 and

XavgC15 < XavgC50

Which is part of a scan I'm testing for having the 9-day Xavg line on the bottom, the 15-day Xavg line in the middle, and the 50-day Xavg line on top.

I appreciate your help.

William

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:52:36 AM

Worden Trainer

Can you provide some specific examples? My best guess without having any examples to look at would be that at least one of your moving averages on the chart is of the another moving average instead of all of the moving averages being based on price.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
StockGuy
Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:56:48 AM

Administration

The plots on your chart are all simple moving averages. You labeled them "Exp" but if you edit each you can see that the Average Type is set to "Simple" instead of "Exponential".

wbunn
Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2016 5:17:51 PM

Bruce,

It looks like I've resolved my Exponential moving average questions.  In my example scan, I  showed a PCF scaning for 3 Exponential MA conditions:

XavgC9< XavgC15 and

XavgC15 < XavgC30

Which returmed partially erroneous results.  Actually my chart has four Exponentila Ma's, a 9-day, a 15-day, a 30-day, a 50 day, and a 200-day.  I included the fourth Exp MA (the 200;day) in the stack this afternoon which straightened everthing out..It looks like my original PCF was probably correct, and the unmentioned 200-day Xavg was skewing the results.

William

StockGuy
Posted : Friday, April 8, 2016 7:05:37 AM

Administration

I logged into your profile and your moving averages are still set to simple.  You labeled them XavgC200, etc. but that doesn't make them exponential.

wbunn
Posted : Friday, April 8, 2016 8:05:02 AM

To Stockguy,

If you mean my Tc2000 profile, I looked there and see not reference to any PCF's that were created.  Can you tell me where you saw the profile indicating my pcf was actually an Average and not an Exponential moving average.  In any event the problem was resolved by including and additional condition about the XavgC200 which was displayed on the TC2000 chart.   I appreciate your help but am very confused about the "profile" you are referring to.

William

StockGuy
Posted : Friday, April 8, 2016 8:35:14 AM

Administration

No, you have plots on your chart labeled XAvgC200, XAvgC50, XAvgC15, etc. You have them labeled Exp but they are simple averages.

wbunn
Posted : Friday, April 8, 2016 2:52:46 PM

Stockguy,

I wil have to eat some humble pie... I finally found my error in the chart profile box that shows the type of moving average ... it was just like you said .... some of them were simple moving aferages.  I set them all to Exponential Moving Averages and all line up correctly.   Thank you again.

William

StockGuy
Posted : Friday, April 8, 2016 2:55:57 PM

Administration

Awesome! Glad you hear it's working correctly for you now.  Have a nice weekend!