Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

comparing lows Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
pwalk
Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 1:02:32 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

How would I set up an indicator to show me when the closing price is within, say 10 cents (or a certain %) of the last low for a stock?

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 1:20:52 PM

Worden Trainer

How do you want define the "last low" for a stock?

If you define the low as being over a certain period of time, you could do something like the following for a net difference (I'm using a 252 bar low in this case).

C <= MINL252 + .1

Or something like the following for a percent difference. I'm going to use 30 bars and 1% in this example.

C <= 1.01 * MINL30

If you have some sort of requirement for what constitutes a low other than just being the lowest value over a fixed number of bars, then things will get more complicated. You would need to design a condition formula to identify the requirements and then use the techniques explored in the Days Since Last Peak (or other day-counting needs) topic in order to determine the value of the low the most recent time those requirements were met within the span of time covered by the lookback of the formula.

Formulas of this type can be quite long and can quickly get too long and slow to be practical or post in the forums if the requirements for identifying the "last low" are complicated or the lookback period is long.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
pwalk
Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2016 7:14:36 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I like the % idea, wll work on that approach.  Thank you for your time and response!

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:28:35 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles