Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

New Industry Sectors Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
turtletrendfollower
Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:48:05 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I must have been asleep at the wheel using my old version of TC2000. I just noticed the new version and have some questions.

1. When I upgrade to v.12.4 will all my all templates from my previous version still stay in tact?

2. Does the new version have the ability to DDE link into Excel?

3. I notice that you no longer update and maintain the old MG sector and sub-sector industry groups. There were about 204 and now with the change to the SSX,etc groups there are only about 150......why the change and why the narrowing of the subsector universe?

4. I would ultimately love to be able to trade replicateing baskets of stocks to mimick the subsectors.....i.e. create custom ETFs......can you provide the formula and methodolgy for how the new sectors are calculated? Weightings, rebalance frequency,etc...

5. With platinum edition, will the sector data update in real time?

Thanks!

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:41:10 PM

Worden Trainer

Old TC2000 version 11 and TC2000 version 12 templates should stay intact and automatically be available in TC2000 version 12.4.

Old TC2000 version 7 stuff can be imported into TC2000 version 12.4. Most things should behave pretty much the same after being imported, but there are some features from TC2000 version 7 that aren't in TC2000 version 12.4.

Note that access to both TC2000 version 7 and TC2000 version 12.4 is included at no extra cost with your TC2000 service.

There is no DDE link to Excel available in TC2000 version 12.4.

We get our industry classifications from Morningstar. They updated their classification system several years ago. We kept the older classification system for quite a while.

We did eventually update from using Morningstar's older industry classification system (with symbols beginning with MG) to its new industry classification system (with symbols beginning with SSX, SX and iX) and no longer maintain component WatchLists for the older classification system.

The following TC2000 tutorial videos explore the newer sector, industry and related items features as introduced in TC2000 version 12.4.

Sector & Industry Analysis Tools (8:34)
Related Items WatchLists (6:05)

The following PDF explores the methodology used.

MorningstarIndustryMethodology.pdf

The sectors and industries are weighted by Capitalization ^ 0.75.

The sector and industry data does update in real time in TC2000 version 12.4 Platinum.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
turtletrendfollower
Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:52:40 PM

Thanks!

Will StockFinder also have the ability to get the new SSX, SX and iX industry data?

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 12:25:47 PM

Worden Trainer

I doubt it. There is hard coding of some of the industry stuff in both TC2000 version 7 and StockFinder. So adding the new industry classifications to either program would require more than just adding some WatchLists, Symbols and data, you would need to alter the programs.

While there are no plans to discontinue either TC2000 version 7 or StockFinder, neither program is currently in development either. This means pretty much no changes to either program.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
turtletrendfollower
Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 5:39:00 PM

That stinks!

I love Stockfinder.........

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 11:56:03 AM

Worden Trainer

I love the versatility of StockFinder as well.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles