Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Bullish Ecgulfing pattern indicator Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
jpag1
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 2:41:00 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I need to create a bullish engulfing PCF to creaate a indicator. How do I do this? Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 2:58:47 PM

Worden Trainer

The Bullish Engulfing pattern given in the Boolean PCFs for Candlestick Patterns topic is as follows.

(O1>C1) AND (C-O)>=.7*(H-L) AND (C>O1) AND (O<C1) AND (H-L)>=1.2*(AVGH10-AVGL10)

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
jpag1
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 3:06:04 PM

What I want to know is how create an indicator wih it.  Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 3:10:05 PM

Worden Trainer

You would select Add Plot to Chart (the green + in the upper left) and choose Custom PCF % True Indicator from the list.

You would then use the Condition Formula as the Boolean Formula in the Custom PCF % True Indicator.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jpag1
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 3:58:52 PM

I used the formula that you listed above and it does not pick up all of the bullish engufing pattern. I found 7 patterns in one stock over six months but the formula only picked up three. Any suggestions?  Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 4:03:20 PM

Worden Trainer

All that means is that your particular definition of a bullish engulfing pattern is different the definition being used by the author of the Boolean PCFs for Candlestick Patterns topic.

This is incredibly common as there is almost no universal agreement on the exact definitions of the various candlestick terms and patterns.

The pattern definition used in the Boolean PCFs for Candlestick Patterns topic requires the close of the current bar to be above the open of the previous bar, the open of the previous bar to be above the close of the previous bar, the close of the previous bar to be above the open of the current bar, the body of the current bar to be at least 70% of the candle and the current candle to be at least 20% bigger than average candle over the most recent 10 bars.

If you provide a specific unambiguous objective definition of what you see as a bullish candlestick pattern, we can help you implemen your particular definition.

For example, if you want the close to be above the previous high, the previous open to be above the previous close and the previous low to be above the current open with no other qualifications, you could use the following.

C > H1 AND O1 > C1 AND L1 > O

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jpag1
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 4:24:00 PM

The body of the today completely engulfs the body of yesterday. Shadows are not a consideration. The color of yesterdays bar is usually red while todays bar is green If you have a chart please look at an example of this in DF.on December 8 and 9. Hope that helps.  Thanks you.

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 4:27:28 PM

Worden Trainer

If you want the close to be above the previous open, the previous open to be above the previous close and the previous close to be above the current open with no other qualifications, you can use the following.

C > O1 AND O1 > C1 AND C1 > O

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jpag1
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 4:32:54 PM

That works and I set it up as an indicator and that workd also.  Thanks very much.

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 4:34:16 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles