Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

order of events Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
dwayne
Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:57:16 AM

is platnium able to scan for events that happen in a certain order......for example.....first the stock up 1% or more from open, then has 3 or more lower lows, then has 3 or more bars where highest high - lowest low is less than 5 cents?

the order of events is important.

thanks.

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:37:07 AM

Worden Trainer

It is possible to scan for a specific order of events, but I cannot think of a way to create your particular example.

The problematic part is the stock up 1% or more from the open. We can check for it to currently be true using the following daily formula:

C >= 1.01 * O

Or to have been true at least once so far during the trading day using the following daily formula.

H >= 1.01 * O

But this doesn't tell you when during the trading day this happened and there is no way to create an intraday formula which automatically references the open of the trading day.

We can check for having 3 or more lower lows in a row immediately followed by 3 bars where the highest high - lowest low is less than 5 cents using something like the following:

MAXH3 <= MINL3 + .05 AND L3 < L4 AND L4 < L5 AND L5 < L6

You could also count how many bars since three bars in a row had lower lows or how many bars since the total range of 3 bars was less than 5 cents and then compare these numbers, but the technique to do so is fairly complicated.

Days Since Last Peak (or other day-counting needs)

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
dwayne
Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:59:24 AM

thank you....i will have to give this some more thought.

dwayne
Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:59:55 PM

just to be certain about this....if i use platnium, i can scan in real time for the lower lows part of my strategy and the consolidation part of the strategy, is that correct?

i think i can get around the "up 1% or more from open" part of my strategy by simply scanning for stocks up 1% or more for the first 30 minutes of trading, then apply the other part of my strategy to whatever watchlist i come up with during the first 30 minutes.   i only want to trade for the first hour or so each day so stocks up 1% or more after that, i would ignore.

does that make sense?

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:17:57 PM

Worden Trainer

You are correct. The problematic part is the up 1% or more from open. You can scan for the rest in realtime using TC2000 version 12.4 Platinum.

Counting how many bars ago the most recent batch of lower lows and the most recent consolidation can be done if that ends up being the preferred approach versus having the consolidation immediately follow the lower lows.

It is going to be somewhat problematic if these events both have to happen after the market opens though as there is no way to count how many intraday bars there have been since the market opened in a formula.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles