Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Rounding and Timing in a PCF Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
fuhr
Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 10:41:50 PM

Hi, another couple of questions to go with my earlier queries.

As part of a scan I use a PCF condition that   "XAVGC30 > XAVGC30.1 AND XAVGC30.1 < XAVGC30.2", ie a bottoming 30 period EMA line.  While I was working with it after the close today, I got the following result on testing 'GDX' :    23.55 > 23.55  AND  23.55  <  23.55   and on the next line it states that        Value = True.     

Two questions arise:

The aftermarket value of the 30 line had risen to 23.66 at the time of the test, while the curve value at the close was 23.55.  Can I assume that your PCF calculations do not include the pre- and post-market trades?  Is there any way for me to turn on the use of those trades in a PCF in the same way as I can choose to display this information on the chart?  A scan that gives a sense of the market direction prior to the open could be useful at times.

Second, since it is not true that   23.55 > 23.55, I assume that the PCF calculations must evaluate in many decimal places but only display in two.  Correct assumption that this is a report rounding process and not a problem in my script?

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2014 2:28:13 PM

Worden Trainer

Personal Criteria Formulas use a single data type which is accurate to about seven significant digits. The rounding to two digits past the decimal is only done for display purposes in the test and is not done for the comparison itself.

There is no way currently to include pre and post market data in a WatchList Column or EasyScan. The feature has not been added yet.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
fuhr
Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:22:36 PM

Hi Bruce,

You said in this response on Apr01/14:

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

There is no way currently to include pre and post market data in a WatchList Column or EasyScan. The feature has not been added yet.

By extension, suppose I had the Pre/Post Market Data set on my 5 min chart at 'Always Show', and I had a streaming scan to alert me to a macd bottom.  And suppose there was a major gap opening in, say, GLD, or one of the active ETFs, there could be an apparent contradiction between the macd bottom of my chart and the alerted macd bottom of the scan. 

Both the chart and the alert are 'correct', but they don't agree as the base data is different.

To me, the apparent gapping is best understood by including the pre/post data but this understanding is blunted by the timing change on the alert.  And in days following, with the pre/post no longer included in the base data, only the 'alert' macd bottom is reflected for analysis without the 'smoothing' effect of the pre/post.

Any resolution in the near term, or am I best advised, during the early part of the trading day, to continue to mentally adjust my reaction to the alert based on the extent of a gap open?

Thanks in advance for your answer, and for all of your other answers to date.  All have been interesting and informative, and some are examples of truly innovative solutions.  Very well done.

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:43:37 AM

Worden Trainer

There are plans to allow the use of Pre/Post Market data beyond the ability to plot it on the chart.

I do not know when this might actually happen however, so I am not going to suggest there will be near term resolution.

I wish I had some sort of creating workaround, but I don't have anything which would improve upon your own mental adjustment.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles