Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

MACD crossover alert Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
trendchange
Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:53:39 PM

HI Bruce et al,

I was hoping someone was able to help me with creating a simple indicator alert.  I want to take the MACD (standard settings)  on say the SPX and have an alert created that pings me when there is a cross over only on the indicator thru the EMA line. I am not concerned with the level of the indicator so much as the actual cross over up or down.   I am not interested in any lists of stocks or scans, just one chart. I hope this makes sense.

Dave 

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:29:09 PM

Worden Trainer

You can create an alert for MACD crossing up through its moving average for a single symbol at a time by clicking on MACD and selecting Set Alert. You would choose Crossing Up Moving Average in the MACD vs Moving Average section of the Condition drop-down menu in the Create Alert menu which appears.

Creating an alert for MACD crossing down through its moving average would be the same, except that you would choose Crossing Down Moving Average instead of Crossing Up Moving Average.

Setting Alerts in TC2000
Managing Alerts in the Alert Console

Note that the above technique creates two individual alerts (this is not a bad thing and might even be better than a single alert). If you really wanted to create a single alert which checked for both crossing up or crossing down, you would need to create a Condition Formula.

SGN(XAVGC12 - XAVGC26 - XAVG(XAVGC12,9) + XAVG(XAVGC26,9)) <> SGN(XAVGC12.1 - XAVGC26.1 - XAVG(XAVGC12.1,9) + XAVG(XAVGC26.1,9))

Understanding MACD

And then select More | Alerts | New Alert | Condition Alert to create an alert based on the Condition Formula you created above.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
trendchange
Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:53:14 PM

Great thanks Bruce!

Dave

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:59:45 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce