Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Sector and Industry Indexes Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
JustJewels
Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 3:12:26 PM

Hello, 

I would like to know the calculation for the sector and industry indexes on the new 12.4 version.  I was told that it is cap weighted but is there a multiple involved?  I am looking at broadcasting ix1210.  The index is over 16,XXX but it only has 12 stocks and the highest stock price is $50.  Thanks for the help.

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:36:54 AM

Worden Trainer

The industries and sub-industries are not just an average of the prices of the current components using capitalization to weight those prices. You are not going to be able to use a list of current components and prices to calculate the values of the industries and sub-industries.

If you change the time frame of the chart to yearly and look at the various industries and sub-industries on the chart, you will notice that they all start at about 100. Stocks are added and subtracted from the industries over time and those components might have splits and reverse splits. All of these adjustments have to be done in a such a way that you don't end up with discontinuities in the value of the indicator.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles