Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

ATR Trailing Stop Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
ccsjeba
Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:19:17 AM

Hello,

Can you please help me out with the realcode (for Stockfinder) to calculate ATR Trailing Stop (2 x ATR stop that is calculated on 14 days)?

Thanks,

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 11:34:33 AM

Worden Trainer

You can create a RealCode Indicator for a multiple of the Average True Range fairly easily:

'|******************************************************************
'|*** StockFinder RealCode Indicator - Version 5.0 www.worden.com 
'|*** Copy and paste this header and code into StockFinder *********
'|*** Indicator:Multiple of ATR
'|******************************************************************
'# Cumulative'# Multiple = UserInput.Single = 2.00
'# ATR = indicator.Library.Average True Range
Plot = Multiple * ATR.Value

But I really don't know of a good way to use this value as Trailing Stop in StockFinder.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
ccsjeba
Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 7:01:18 PM

Thanks Bruce. But it appears the ATR Trailing Stop that I am looking for is not the same what we have here. 

I was looking for something like what is documented at 

http://team.thinkorswim.com/manual/dark/studies/studies%20library/A-B/ATRTrailingStop.html

I will play around a little more. 

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:11:48 AM

Worden Trainer

The RealCode was for a multiple of Average True Range, it was not for a Trailing Stop. Note that I indicated in my response that I did not know of a good way to use the ATR as a Trailing Stop in StockFinder. You can't create RealCode Trailing Stop Exit Rules for use in BackScanner for example. And if you are using BackScanner, there is no way to automatically know when you entered the trade to start the trailing stop.

There was a Trailing Stop Indicator created which was based on an article by Sylvain Vervoot in Stocks & Commodities Magazine which has a user input available to manually set the entry date. Select Share | Browse other users shared items and search for the June Traders Tips Shared by Craig_S on 4/10/2009.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
tazziedevil
Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 1:25:47 PM

I am interested in finding the ATR Trailing Stop chart/code noted in the June 2008 article in S&C ( Craig_S' June Traders Tips).  It appears that it was developed for StockFinder.  Is it available in TC2000?  I'm looking for a version where I can enter a start date and have it continue to move the stop up/down based on new highs/lows from there.

Thanks for any help.

Frank

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 8:23:14 AM

Worden Trainer

No, it is not available for TC2000 and I do not know of a way to create anything similar to it in TC2000. The Personal Criteria Formula Language is not a full programming langugage like RealCode and does not have syntax which would allow you to enter a start date.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles