Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Scanning time frame coverage Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
leilaywells
Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:07:56 AM

I think I'm "missing a link in my understanding of setting up scans.  I've watched a few videos and it looks pretty easy, but I'm getting stuck when I try to set up my own.

For example.  Let's say I want to scan my watchlist for stocks that have had a crossover of the TSV up thru zero (or down thru zero).

I've tried to do it from scratch and the criteria is the TSV xDOWN zero line.  It selects DAILY as the time frame.  I don't know what "daily" means in this case.  Does it mean that the scan will look at any companies whose TSV crossed down thru zero in the last 24 hours?  If it change that to weekly, does it mean within the last 7 days?  That can't be right... but I'm trying to wrap my mind around HOW this scan will determine which companies meet the criteria... because most if not all have had their TSV's cross zero at SOME point, right?

Once this is explained to me I'm sure it will be one of those "ahhh" moments, but I just can't seem to get it on my own.

Also, I didn't care for the TSV 38 but it wouldn't let me change it (that I could see).  So what I tried was to create a scan right from the indicator window.  That worked.  (  :) but, of course, I got dizzy when it asked me what time frame.  :)   )

What I'm really trying to get is this.  In order to monitor my portfolio of stocks that I own and determine a possible selling point, I'm going to run a series of scans.  (or maybe one scan with multiple criteria).  How often will I have to run a scan for it to be effective?  I hope that makes sense.  If I had the word daily in the criteria, do I have to run it every day?  No... that can't be right, can it?  Could I run it each week and see if my crossovers or other criteria have occurred?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Leila

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:52:18 AM

Worden Trainer

If you click on an Indicator and select Create Scan Condition, it will only return true in the WatchList if the Condition is true for the current bar.

A TSV xDown zero line Condition would be checking for TSV to above zero during the previous bar and below zero currently. If the Time Frame is Daily, the bars being used will each represent one day. If the Time Frame is 5-Minutes, the bars being used will each represent 5-Minutes.

Note that if the Time Frame is Daily, TSV xDown zero could be true for part of the day and not true for part of the day. The Condition does not know or care if it was true or not true at some other time during the day. It will only return true if the previous bar was above zero and the current bar is below zero at the time of the scan.

If you wanted to just find out if TSV is currently below zero, you would check for it to be below zero instead of crossing down through zero. This would mean the crossover would not need to have happened between the previous bar and the current bar and could have taken place at any time in the past. Theoretically it could mean that TSV has always been below zero, but for most symbols this would not be a realistic scenario.

As to how frequently this would make you want or need to run a particular EasyScan I could not say. That is up to you.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
leilaywells
Posted : Friday, September 28, 2012 8:53:31 PM

Hey Bruce - I just wanted to let you know there IS a way to see if a line has crossed over, not just in the last bar, but recently.  Here's how it is done:

Let's say, like in the example in my questions above, that I want to find stocks in a watchlist that have just crossed over TSV zero line.  I'd go to my the TSV indicator chart and click on the indicator name.  From the drop down menu, select CREATE SCAN CONDITION.  When it opens up the window to create the condition, all I have t do is select MOVING UP SMART and it lets me select over how many periods I'd like it to check the condition for.  Awesome.  I was so excited to find this.

Like you and I both mentioned or inferred, it could be very difficult to find the exact time that a crossover is done.  This kind of scan lets the user find crossovers that happened recently.

Leila

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, October 1, 2012 8:37:38 AM

Worden Trainer

Keep in mind that Moving Up Smart is checking for just that, the value to be increasing over the Move Period. This does not necessarily mean the value has crossed up through zero. It will most likely be the case for an indicator such as TSV where the value frequently oscillates through the zero line that TSV will in fact have crossed up through zero during the move, but it is theoretically possible for the value to have moved up over the period but not to have crossed up through zero.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles