Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Formula not responding correctly Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
rothar
Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 5:03:14 PM

I've created the following PCF and used it in a scan.  The scan results include many stocks with volumes well under 500,000.  Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

MAXH5<MAXH20
AND MINL7.1=MINL36
AND MINL3.1>MINL36.1
AND L<MINL3.1*0.995
AND AVGV50>500000.

My scan is simply that this condition is true in the universe of all US stocks.  When I ran the scan I few minutes ago I got 90 returns with more than half of the returns having today's volume lower than 100K shares.

Thanks,
ARoth
StockGuy
Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 10:42:42 PM

Administration

I tested and it returned 42 stocks. All had AVGV50 > 500,000 shares.

MU
PBR
GNW
COP
AMAT
TXN
JNPR
PCS
SAPX
ALTR
HUSA
PFG
XLNX
FAST
ZION
JBL
ADSK
LGF
AVGO
FTNT
ISIL
AMP
FCS
APOL
OZM
PIR
DAR
YNDX
CLDX
UEC
OII
PWAV
TSLA
EXK
DV
FOE
LXK
AEZS
AG
CEF
AMRS
TAT
rothar
Posted : Friday, May 4, 2012 2:06:39 AM

Thanks for checking, Stockguy, but it doesn't give me the same result as you got.  I got 93 stocks with volume for the day as low as 3K.  Could there be something wrong with my local program?  I thought this was on the cloud so everyone would get the same result.  

I'm confused.  Thanks for any additional help you can offer.

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, May 4, 2012 8:40:55 AM

Worden Trainer

I seem to get the same list of 42 stocks when scanning the US Common Stocks WatchList with your Condition Formula set to Daily (albeit in a different order):

ADSK, AEZS, AG, ALTR, AMAT, AMP, AMRS, APOL, AVGO, CEF, CLDX, COP, DAR, DV, EXK, FAST, FCS, FOE, FTNT, GNW, HUSA, ISIL, JBL, JNPR, LGF, LXK, MU, OII, OZM, PBR, PCS, PFG, PIR, PWAV, SAPX, TAT, TSLA, TXN, UEC, XLNX, YNDX & ZION

Try removing your Condition Formula from your EasyScan and re-adding it.

Keep in mind that when you use a Condition Formula in an EasyScan or a as a WatchList Column, it copies the Condition Formula. This copy is not linked to the original Condition Formula. If you change the Condition Formula later, these changes will not be reflected in the copies.

Also note that the volume reference in the Condition Formula is for the 50-Period Simple Moving Average of Volume while you keep referring to today's volume in your posts. It is quite possible for the Moving Average to be above 500,000 shares with the volume for the current bar being significantly below its moving average.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
rothar
Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 2:20:02 PM

Thanks Bruce.

It was the copy issue that was the problem.  My original formula used 5000 for 500,000, not realizing that the old 100 share divisor was no longer used.  I didn't copy the change into the scan which is why, as you pointed out, it didn't work.

Thanks for the help.  However, this raises another question.  In order to change the ez-scan, I couldn't find a way to edit it and had to delete and rewrite it completely.  How does one edit a scan?

Thanks again.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 2:23:58 PM

Worden Trainer

Click on EasyScans along the left and choose your EasyScan. Then select the Conditions tab. You can click on the X to the right of an EasyScan to remove it from the EasyScan. You can select Add Condition to add another Condition.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles