Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Plotting Industries Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
beld
Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:56:41 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

You have lots of topics regarding top industries and finding the strongest stocks in each industry

I wonder if there is a way I could use a line chart with colors to indicate industries ( let's say 15 or 20).

Purpose:  If I think a correction will be "rolling" from industry to industry,   I'd like a way to "track" the ups and downs of the chosen industries.  The watchlist method tells me its position but I can't see at a glance whether it's getting stronger or weaker.

I would be willing to plot the 5 or 10 day moving average as long as I could tell which industry is which color.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Beth
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:35:15 AM

Worden Trainer

You can plot an active symbol and up to five comparison symbols on any given chart in TC2000 version 12 (click on Price History and select Comparisons). So to get 15 or 20 symbols, you would need to have three or four charts in your Workspace. You could not have all of the symbols plotted in the same chart.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
raymondlevy.zw
Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:54:18 PM

Beld......  Good point. I agree with your thinking... i was wanting to do EXACTLY the same search.

It will certainly roll over one industry at a time...

Bruce.... Question for you.... is there any way to run a search which compares Price history of a particular stock to that of an Index?

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:46:13 AM

Worden Trainer

In general, no, this is not possible in TC2000. The Personal Criteria Formula Language does not have syntax for referencing other symbols or fundamentals.

That said, there are a few things. A Relative Strength indicator divides the price of the active symbol by the price of the price of the symbol selected in the Relative Strength indicator. If Relative Strength is moving up, the active symbol is outperforming the Relative Strength symbol. if Relative Strength is moving down, the active symbol is underperforming the Relative Strength symbol.

One of the built in fundamental system criteria is Relative Strength 1-Yr (vs SP-500).

You can use the Custom Date Sort feature to compare the performance of the active symbol to its Industry or Sub-Industry or whatever period of time is selected.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles