Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

On Balance Volume, intraday Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
peter01
Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2004 1:17:10 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Using TC2000, during the day, are the OBV values valid? I noticed very big
discrepancies between after market close, and after the final market close download.

thanks
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2004 1:25:37 PM

Worden Trainer

OBV is calculated by adding today's volume to yesterday's OBV if the stock is up today. Today's volume is subtracted from yesterday's OBV if the stock is down today.

I need to check for you to see if OBV is re-calculated each time new volume numbers are downloaded throughout the day, or if it is only calculated once per day, as part of the final market close download.

I'll get back to you as soon as I clarify this.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2004 1:39:41 PM

Worden Trainer

I have just confirmed that OBV is calculated based on the latest data you've downloaded. If you're downloading at just after 4PM, you would be missing the last 20 minutes of volume for the day, since the downloads are 20-minute delayed data. Then when you do your end-of-day download in the evening, the last 20 minutes of volume would be included in the calculation, causing OBV to plot differently.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2004 5:05:58 PM

Worden Trainer

peter01:

OBV is a cumlative indicator, so the values are actually meaningless. Where OBV is now compared to where it has been is what's important.

Not sure if what you're seeing is a difference in how OBV looks on the chart comparing 4PM data to final download data. That difference could be a matter of using a different zoom level.

- Doug
Teaching Online!