Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

indicator which represents Wilders smoothing moving average Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
kd
Posted : Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:41:59 PM
please advise what SF indicator represents the Wilders Smoothing moving average?

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 9:19:14 AM

Worden Trainer

Wilder's Smoothing is an Exponential Moving Average with a slightly different period. So it is possible to use the RealCode syntax for an Exponential Moving Average to duplicate Wilder's Smoothing. Just double the period of the Wilder's Moving Average and subtract one (so a 14-Period Wilder's Smoothing becomes a 27-Period Exponential Moving Average).

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
kd
Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 9:35:09 AM
Bruce:
thanks for reply,
when seraching the indicators i do not find 'exponential', what should i look for to find the exponential moving average, i must be missing something.

kd
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 9:58:53 AM

Worden Trainer

The RealCode API lists the syntax that can be used for Exponential Moving Averages in RealCode.

If you are trying to use the Import Indicator selector in the RealCode Editor to add an Exponential Moving Average, it will not work. In the current version of StockFinder, this can only be used to add Parent Indicators. Moving Averages are Child Indicators which need to be applied to a Parent Indicator such as Price.

You can add the Moving Average to the Chart and then Drag and Drop it into the RealCode Editor to reference it in a similar fashion to using the Import Indicator selection however.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kd
Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 10:04:06 AM
bruce:
was trying to add the exponentioal indicator to price, NOT in real code, and as i said when i look for the exponential word nothing comes up and manual searching list for exponential moving average nothing is found. so, i am confused.  do i need to code it myself in realcode, is that the choice?
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 10:33:37 AM

Worden Trainer

Ah, I thought you were asking about RealCode as you are asking the question in the RealCode forum.

Just add a Moving Average (select Add Indicator/Condition to Chart | Moving Average), when you edit the Moving Average it will allow you to adjust the type of Moving Average (Simple, Exponential or Front Weighted) as well as the Period.

Working with Indicators

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kd
Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 10:43:11 AM
bruce:
thanks so much, actually the answers you gave for all of it is quite useful.
i appreciate your efforts very much, i have so many real code programs now, it is hard to keep track of them, over 120.  regards. kd
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 10:47:26 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

It pleases me to read not only that you found my earlier answers useful but that you are doing so much RealCode programming.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles