Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Finding stocks from a list of industries Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
danclark
Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 12:50:47 AM
Hi,

I have a process that I'm trying to implement in TC2005. My first step is to analyze Industries and Sub-Industries to find those in which interested. My second step is to find all of those stocks which are in my selected industires.

What I want to do is to create a watchlist of my selected Industries and SubIndustries, and then use this watchlist as the initial filter for a list of stocks.

I've seen a video about using a watch list of industries and sub-industries, and then clicking on the chart and selecting "Change watch-list to Industry/sub-industry components". This seems to work, but it looks a little restrictive and requires lots of clicking. So...

Is this the best way? Any more efficient ways?

Are there any keyboard shortcuts that can reduce the amount of mouse-clicking?

When you change to a different Sub-Industry, is there a quick way to apply a sublist to filter the data? I.e., when you get the Sub-Industry's symbols and apply a sub-list filter (say, for volume and price), and then change to a different sub-industry and get that sub-industry's symbols, it looks like you have to reapply the sub-list. Is there any way to reduce the clicking?

Thanks in advance,

Dan.
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 1:29:24 AM

Worden Trainer

The industry video demonstrates the best way to do what you're looking for.

The sublist function, once turned on, stays on. If you change your active watchlist from one industry watchlist to another, the sublist filter remains turned on.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
danclark
Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 7:54:11 PM
Doug,

Thanks for the feedback. One minor clarification...

The Sub-List needs to be applied at the Industry or Sub-Industry level to stay "stuck" for the components. I was applying it at the component level and then navigating back to the "Last List". (I.e., my bad.)

On the other question, is there a keyboard shortcut to implement this a little more quickly?

Also, is there any way of getting the components for ALL of the watchlist Industries? Or do you have to do it industry by industry?

(It's still a great feature, I just want to speed it up.)

Regards,

Dan.
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 8:13:06 PM

Worden Trainer

Sorry, Dan. No hotkeys for this.

Once you turn the sublist on, it stays on. However, if you use the navigation button (ie. Last WatchList), and navigate back to a WatchList you were looking at prior to turning on the sublist, the sublist goes away. Remember, when you are navigating, you're not really changing watchlists...you are simply navigating backwards through your TeleChart session...and eventually you'll navigate back to the place you were prior to turning on the sublist.

- Doug
Teaching Online!