Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Disappointed but still a fan Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Flash99
Posted : Friday, November 27, 2009 7:57:45 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

I was so eager to test Stockfinder 5...
First of all, so that there is no confusion, I must say I LOVE STOCKFINDER; don't know how I could live without it. So I hope you'll understand my criticism is well intended.

Was expecting to finally get the FreeStockCharts functionality still missing from StockFinder 4:
1. Trend Line Price Alerts
2. Drawing Tools

Dear Mr. Worden, please implement this functionality in StockFinder 5.

Trend Line Price Alerts are nowhere to be seen in  StockFinder 5.No comment.

I strongly suspect the Drawing Tools is what stops many famous veterans (do not want to name any names without permission) from using StockFinder instead of Telechart.
Please pause a second and compare a basic task such as drawing a trend line:
In FreeStockCharts:
- click on the trend line tool (it's right there, shortcuts available to all drawing tools)
- click & click on the chart to draw the trend line (FreeStockCharts is smart enough to choose the right color, background white=>trend line black; background black =>trendline white)
=> 3 clicks and I have a visible trend line whatever the background color. BRAVO !
In Stockfinder 4&5
- click on the Drawing Tools button
- click on Trend Line (but only if I am lucky and is one of the last 3 drawing tools used, otherwise look for it in the submenu... another carefull move with the mouse)
- click & click to draw the trend line, now for some strange reason the color of trend line is YELLOW?!
- click on the trend line to open the QuickEdit
- click to open the Color selection panel
- click to select the color (but only if I am lucky, the panel might not be completely visible in the screen and cannot select the color, so I have to click on the Quick Edit, move it to the left, click on open the Color selection panel, then click again to select the color)
=>7 clicks is the best case scenario in StockFinder 4&5. This is definitely NOT a BRAVO !

Could you please confirm what are your plans regarding these two issues.

Thank you

PilatusPilot
Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:46:09 AM

Drawing tools have not been addressed yet in version 5.

We'll soon allot about a week towards them.

You'll see them become much like FreeStockCharts.com. The trendline alerts will work interchangably between StockFinder and FreeStockCharts.com.

You didn't mention (Ctrl-click) to get the last drawing tool used in FreeStockCharts.com. It's a great shortcut if you weren't aware.

It will all happen and keep getting better.

Thanks,
Chris W
Flash99
Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:40:22 PM

Thank you Chris.

I must admit I was sceptic reading your post; on what can be done in one week.
But I was wrong, after trying Beta Build 131, I am amazed with what has been accomplished.

Do you know when you will implement the price alerts ?

Thanks,
Vio
PilatusPilot
Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 7:41:54 AM

We're working on the integration between StockFinder and FreeStockCharts.com. Hope to have it in next beta build.
jmilez
Posted : Monday, December 7, 2009 10:40:12 PM
Glad to hear some of the great features of freestockcharts is coming to StockFinder 5! All the backend enhancements are great, but I really have stopped using StockFinder because FreeStockCharts is faster and friendlier. Especially when drawing trend lines and the ability to set tool defaults. I hope SF5 will have custom fib levels that can be set as default. And the ability to set different line styles/colors and alerts (on the fib) would be a bonus!
Kuf
Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:25:24 AM

Administration

QUOTE (jmilez)
Glad to hear some of the great features of freestockcharts is coming to StockFinder 5! All the backend enhancements are great, but I really have stopped using StockFinder because FreeStockCharts is faster and friendlier. Especially when drawing trend lines and the ability to set tool defaults. I hope SF5 will have custom fib levels that can be set as default. And the ability to set different line styles/colors and alerts (on the fib) would be a bonus!

The latest beta build has a new  drawing toolbar and tools with default options, much like FreeStockCharts.com

Ken Gilb (Kuf)
Chief Software Engineer - Worden Brothers Inc.
Try/Catch - My RealCode Blog