Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Daily SMA 200 on 5-min intraday chart? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
m_badger
Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:28:35 PM
How can I draw a stock's daily SMA200 onto an intraday 5-min chart?  I do not want the 5-min 200 period SMA, I want the daily-period SMA200 on the 5-min chart.
Julia_O
Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:52:58 PM

Worden Trainer

m_badger,

Grab the layout I shared for you.  Wihin the Layouts tab of the share library, search for "Daily MA".  The Main chart of this layout includes five minute price bars.  The Moving Average included is a daily MA.  Actually, the period for the MA will be whatever timeframe you select for the additional Chart.

Hope this helps-
Julia
m_badger
Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:01:07 PM
Julia,
It does not appear to work.
Am I doing something wrong?
GE's SMA200 is 17.58

_mad
Julia_O
Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:08:58 PM

Worden Trainer

That's working - remember that the chart is displaying only five hundred bars of historical intraday data while it's displaying several years worth of daily data.  So the truncated intraday data that you see is only representative of the last five hundred bars.  Does that make sense?

Julia
Julia_O
Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:11:28 PM

Worden Trainer

Oh - also, make sure to change the period of the MA on the chart to a 200 period MA - not 21.  Sorry, I left that on its default settings.

Best,

Julia

m_badger
Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:14:43 PM
Julia,
Yes I understand.  Is it possible to explain how I can build this in my already made layout and charts so I can just add it to my existing setup?
Thanks,
_mad
Julia_O
Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:24:02 PM

Worden Trainer

No problem!

I added a secondary chart to the layout, which is set to a 1D timeframe in this case.  The easiest way to proceed is to dock the charts side by side of have the secondary chart you add floating within the layout.

Now open the block diagram for the Moving Average on the Main Chart (which is currently set to an intraday timeframe).  Right-click the plot and select Block Diagram to do so.  

Notice that the feeder block for the Moving Average block right now is simply the Price History information from the Main Chart (intraday chart).  The settings that come along with that Price History information are the timeframe and symbol list to be used.  For this reason, we need to replace the current Price History block within the diagram.  Instead, we need to feed Moving Average with a Price History block that reads the timeframe from the secondary chart (and still uses the same list of stocks as  its source).

From the Moving Average block INPUT, drag into the white space, and from the list that appears when you release the click, select Select Block & Connect.  Search for Prices within the list of blocks that appears.  Double-click the Prices block listed to add it to the diagram.  From the Timeframe INPUT of the Prices block, drag to the timeframe picker of the secondary (1D) chart.  The new input block should be blue and shoud read "TimeFrame Picker 2".  From the Symbol INPUT of the Prices block, drag to the symbol list area of the main watchlist.  The new input block should be blue and read "WatchList Grid Selected".

At that point, you can tab the two charts again so you're only viewing the Main Chart.  You can change the period, etc.

Hope that helps - let me know if you need clarification.

jdo
m_badger
Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:36:47 PM
Julia,
Thanks for the clear explanation.
Works great.
_mad
Julia_O
Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:40:16 PM

Worden Trainer

No problem - glad it works!