Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

StockGuy's shared chart of 9/9/2008 entitled New High Breakout Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
nibor100
Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:47:18 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

When I display his chart in Stockfinder 4.0, and edit the Making New High Rule only by selecting Scan Watchlist, Paint Price when Passing, Last Date True and Show on Chart, for a Dow Jones 30 Watchlist, and sort the Watchlist by the Last True Column I get lots of wrong information.For example, the first stock in the sort WMT, reflects a last date true of 11/7/2008 which is clearly not a 250 day high of any kind, and no paint on price bar nor indicator line at bottom of chart.The second stock MCD, reflects a last date true of 8/8/08 with paint and a lower indicator but it reflects the same information for 12/10/2007 and 12/11/2007, clearly not 250 days between either sets of dates.Does anyone else have the same results, or am I seeing things.Thanks,Ed S.
StockGuy
Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:57:45 PM

Administration

The first stock in the list for me is GE with a Last Date True of 11/7/08 which is clearly incorrect as you point out.  (I'll file a bug report on this to see what's going on.)

The second in the list is WMT which has a Last Date True of 9/8/08.  This looks correct and is reflected correctly by "Paint Price When Passing" and "Show on Chart".

MCD looks correct as well.  Keep in mind, when scanning for a new high it looks back x days to determine if the current day(bar) is the highest of hte period.  So as a stock is moving up, it could be making a new 250 day high day after day after day.
nibor100
Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:05:48 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

StockGuy,Thanks for the reply, I realized later that the second half of my message, I was thinking Lows and not Highs, and probably sounded like a crazy person. Sorry about that.Ed S.