Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

STOCK GUY'sPIVOT POINT GRAPH Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
blackstc
Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:26:43 PM
On 5/1, StockGuy posted a Chart showing PIVOT POINTS. Apparently it gives the PP's for the last full period on the chart and draws the lines all the way across the chart..

How dificult is it to modify that chart to show the Pivot point lines for each interval historically as calculated on the prior interval H-L-C. So for example the PP's calculated at the month of January  H-L-C would be drawn out for all of February, February calculations would show throughout the month of March, etc.  It would provide a good visual history for how the PP Resistance and Support are changing from one period to the next. I am particularly interested in such a chart on the Monthly and Option Expiration time frames for Option Trades.

Thoughts?

Tom B.
StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:41:08 PM

Administration

I'm not clear on what data you want to use to calculate the pivot.  Do you want the monthly H-L-C used to create the pivot value, then extend that value throughout the next month on say a Daily chart?

StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:07:45 PM

Administration

Take a look at my Shared chart Monthly Pivot values on Daily chart and see if that's what you're looking for.  The pivot values calculated for May 2008, for instance, are displayed throughout June 2008 on the daily chart.
blackstc
Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:25:59 PM
Stockguy... that is exactly what I had in mind. Not sure how I missed it in my Search for pivots.

Now, how difficult is it to change it from a monthly chart to one based on OPTION EXPIRATIONS DATE? I tried changing the time fram on the monthly chart and it messed it all up. Can you post one using the OPTION EXPIRATION DATE Timeframe?

Thanks for all of your help. 

Tom B.
StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:55:26 PM

Administration

Download the Shared chart Options Exp pivot values on Daily chart.

You can change the time frame used to calculate the pivots by "un-pinning" the pane tabbed on the left, right-clicking the time frame label and selecting Block Diagram.  From there you can change the time frame being fed into the Time Frame output block.
jmartyn
Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:47:01 PM

Stockguy,

If I want to show an intraday chart with 5, 10, or 15 minute intervals that have the daily pivot lines plotted how would I do that.

It would also be nice to have weekly lines plotted as well as some later stage.

The idea is I want to trade intraday and find the key levels. 

Any help?

jmartyn
Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:51:00 PM
I want Daily pivot levels on a 5 minute or 10 minute chart. 
Seems simple.
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, June 30, 2008 12:41:30 PM

Worden Trainer

jmartyn,
You might want to review the Real Code Help topic (specifically the RealCode Indicator in my Tuesday, June 03, 2008 1:41:05 PM ET post). It can be adjusted to Plot the Pivot Points for Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Yearly Time Frames on Charts using shorter Time Frames than the Pivot Point RealCode Indicators.

I've Shared a Chart with Daily Pivot Points Plotted on a 5-Minute Chart.

Select Share | Charts.
Type jmartyn33172 and select Search.
Select the jmartyn33172 Chart.
Select Open.

The first Plotted Pivot Point will most likely be plotted using only a partial Day, Week, Month or Year of data as it starts plotting the first time the data enters a new Day, Week, Month or Year.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
jmartyn
Posted : Monday, June 30, 2008 8:41:43 PM

I got the PP code from the other post. It takes as input pivot type and timeframe which is smart
because is is reusable. 

'# PointType = UserInput.String = PP
'# TimeFrame = UserInput.String = D

What I don't understand how to manipulate the block diagram. 

The code fragment creates a block?

How do I copy and paste the PP icon (block) into the other diagrams? 

I am a little lost on this.
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2008 8:29:18 AM

Worden Trainer

jmartyn,
The RealCode creates the Block Diagram. The Blocks within this Block Diagram are not meant to be copied to other Block Diagrams however. Any adjustments to the Block Diagram are made by modifying the RealCode. You would copy and paste the entire RealCode Indicator to move it to another Pane, Chart or Layout.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles