Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

PCFs not calculating Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
dhoward
Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2005 11:33:54 AM
In both TC2000 and Tc2005 I have new and old PCFs that will not calculate but test successfully with the PCF edit window. How can I do some kind of work around and force all PCFs to be calculated? Normal means of calculating PCFs just isn't working (for some reason) now, and it's driving me crazy!

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dhoward
StockGuy
Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2005 11:40:25 AM

Administration

Could you send us a copy of the PCFs so we can test them? A backup file from either version will do. Just email it to my attention at support@worden.com.

Be sure to list which PCFs aren't calculating for you in the email.

Thanks,

StockGuy
dhoward
Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2005 2:30:52 PM
I have sent support@worden.com two emails that will show a big example of which PCFs are not calculating and which are still calculated but way out of date. I have send a TC2000 backup file also to debug the problem.
Tanstaafl
Posted : Monday, March 7, 2005 7:55:38 AM
Please note that TC2000 and TCNet (but not TC2005) have an "idosyncracy" that requires you to RECALC AT LEAST TWO PCF'S at the same time. If you edit a single PCF, or create a single PCF, and have not done a data download since your last recalc, then when you tell TC to recalc just that one PCF which was created/changed, it will APPEAR to go thru the process correctly, but when you view the results on a WL tab, they will NOT have changed since before the Edit ... or will be blank if it was a new PCF.

It may be that sometimes it works OK ... but most of the time (or all of the time) it doesn't.

The workaround is simple (and no longer necessary in TC2005, since this has been fixed): Just make sure you always alter or create TWO PCF's before hitting recalc. I have made a habit of keeping a PCF called "A Dummy PCF" which I simply edit back and forth between the formula "C" and the formula "C1" to serve as my second-PCF surrogate when I'm only REALLY working on one PCF.

Maybe this has nothing to do with your problem, but I thot it might help to mention, to save a bunch of effort if it is in fact the issue.

Jim Dean

dhoward
Posted : Monday, March 7, 2005 7:41:19 PM
Problem solved! I had written a PCF or two that tested fine on the PCF Edit page, but just plain croaked Tc2000 and Tc2005 when it came to calculating it's PCFs.

Thanks goes to those who helped, StochGuy, and to those who continually enlighten me, Jim Dean.

Darrell Howard
StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2005 10:03:28 AM

Administration

This is the part of one of the formulas that was causing the problem.

Xavg(XAVG(C*V ,13)

You can't nest XAVG and you can't have a compound argument in it like C * V.

This should have returned a syntax error. Not sure why it didn't.
dpekerow
Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2005 6:46:52 PM
I am working on two machines, but import/export does not work. I am able to see the names of the PCFs, and the EasyScans in which they are applied, but they are there in name only. They do not calculate in the context of an EasyScan. Only when I select an individual PCF and test it on a given symbol does it calculate. Tech support has been helpful thus far and I am getting frustrated.
dpekerow
Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2005 6:50:58 PM
correction....tech support has been UNHELPFUL.
Craig_S
Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2005 6:59:37 PM

Worden Trainer

Please send your latest back-up file to support@worden.com attn: StockGuy so we can look it over. There is likely a bad PCF in there somewhere.

- Craig
Here to Help!
dpekerow
Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2005 6:57:24 PM
I still have not heard back from anyone on this. What is going on?
Doug_H
Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2005 11:25:15 PM

Worden Trainer

Did you send the backup file to StockGuy? Please let us know, and we'll follow up.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
StockGuy
Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2005 11:35:34 PM

Administration

The latest build has corrected this problem. You will need to re-import the PCFs and EasyScans for them to load correctly.

Upgrade to 6.0.26
Tanstaafl
Posted : Monday, March 28, 2005 7:34:52 AM
Thanks for the upgrade link, Stockguy. It should be noted that the "Modify" button won't do the trick ... necessary to click on "Repair".

General Q: will this link get us to intermediate versions on a regular basis, if we need/want to try them out? If so, would it be possible to add a field to the web page that says what build will be accessed by the download + repair? Thanks.

Jim Dean

StockGuy
Posted : Monday, March 28, 2005 10:02:26 AM

Administration

QUOTE (Tanstaafl)
Thanks for the upgrade link, Stockguy. It should be noted that the "Modify" button won't do the trick ... necessary to click on "Repair".

General Q: will this link get us to intermediate versions on a regular basis, if we need/want to try them out? If so, would it be possible to add a field to the web page that says what build will be accessed by the download + repair? Thanks.

Jim Dean

The instructions tell you to click Repair. Modify doesn't do anything because there are not installation options to change.
Tanstaafl
Posted : Monday, March 28, 2005 11:21:33 AM
If you click on the link you provided above (not the sticky instructions in the Beta board), I don't believe there is anything along the way to specify Repair vs Modify. I did double-check. No big deal ... just thot you would want to be aware of it.

jackm1
Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2005 8:50:01 AM

can not get tech support because the amount of long distance bill exceeds the amount i am paying
worden to mess up my fine working tc2000.
i have been through install and re-install, all the upgrades ( only one ) yet my pc hangs and the
program is sloooooow as you know what.
this is the same pc i ran tc2000 for two years without any problem at all.
and yes, none of my pcf are bad either, last time i wrote one, was a year ago.
can someone help......
Craig_S
Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2005 9:16:00 AM

Worden Trainer

Have you tried contacting support via email?

support@worden.com

What is the processor and ram on your machine. Be sure to detail that to them when you email you issue in.

- Craig
Here to Help!
StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2005 9:19:00 AM

Administration

QUOTE (Tanstaafl)
If you click on the link you provided above (not the sticky instructions in the Beta board), I don't believe there is anything along the way to specify Repair vs Modify. I did double-check. No big deal ... just thot you would want to be aware of it.

Actually, there is as long as you're on a machine with TeleChart installed. I just checked it again.
dpekerow
Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2005 6:33:25 PM
Everything works fine now...finally. There should be a general email sent to all subscribers when there is an update to the software. I did not know about the most recent build. Thanks.