Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Monthly 12-26-9 MACD on CTX is lower...then why does the MACD plot hook UP? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Leutchik
Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2008 2:33:29 AM
I've been watching the homebuilders melt down.
As of 4-04-08 the monthly MACD values for CTX are:
11-01 -3.93
12-01 -4.70
01-01 -5.42
02-01 -5.99
03-05 -6.50
04-04 -6.87  ---- but wait, .... the plot of the fast line is clearly UP for the latest "month" (though we're only 4 trading days into the month. )
The monthly candle WAS up after all, so the plot looks correct; but then how does that represent a lower (-6.87) value?

What's going on here?
Thanks.
options7
Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2008 10:34:07 AM
Hello, 
Why is it important to know the values in an indicator in this case MACD, I do not have that one displayed, I strictly use  Slow Stochastics, CCI 5, Volume, TSV 16, MS. On the Top chart I have 20, 40, 200 SMA and the Bollinger band at 20,20. 
So knowing the values for trading add no profits, what it is needed is to look at the chart and follow the candles moves. ON CTX: ON March 31 CTX made a beautiful bounce off the 40SMA, than on 4/1 it Gapped up which usually has a follow through. On 4/2 it gave an exhaustive Tail up abit above the Resistance level for this run. 4/3 it retested the high resistance finishing off and closing near the top of that run. Yesrday 4/4 it should a BEARISH reversal on pretty good volume. MS, TSV,CCI are have all turned down since 4/3, NOW the 20 is looking to cross the 40SMA, which would indicate a bullish and technnical break out, but the over all picture still hangs on that Bearish candle.
Now MACD is a lagging  indicator
Options Trader
Leutchik
Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2008 12:48:30 PM

I think I see what's going on here. 

TCNet reports the values (in the data box in the upper left of the chart) for the *signal line*, not the MACD line. That seems odd to me. By the time you find a divergence using the signal line, the opportunity has pretty much passed you, so why would you be interested in the value for the signal line? Why not display BOTH numeric values...or if just ONE, then the MACD value?

OK, in the form of a question: why does TC report the numeric value for just the signal line?.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 8:12:39 AM

Worden Trainer

Leutchik,
What you can do if you want both lines is add a MACD to the Chart with the Period set to 1. This will draw just the raw MACD. You can then add a Moving Average as a Child Indicator to get the values for both lines. You may wish to review the following:

Understanding MACD

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Leutchik
Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:34:11 PM
Thanks, Bruce. That's exactly what I needed.
But I still think that when the average is not 1, that both numbers should be reported in the same line.
Like MACD 12,26,9 - 3.39, -2.56
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:36:09 PM

Worden Trainer

You can make that suggestion it the Comments/Suggestions forum if desired.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles