Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Blocks Mutual Fund Layout Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
douga98
Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 10:14:57 PM
I would like to build a Mutual Fund Layout somewhat like the shared dual Watchlist layout "Sub Industry Display".

Only I want Mutual Fund Catagories on one Watchlist and the Funds within those Catagories in the other Watchlist. If you would click on a Catagory in one Watchlist it would briing up all the Funds within that Catagory in the other Watchlist.

Any help to get me started would be appreciated.
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:40:56 AM

Worden Trainer

While Mutual Funds have Categories in Blocks, these Categories to not have Symbols that could be displayed (this is different from Hemscott Industries and Sub-Industries which do have their own Symbols).

That said, it is possible to create a Layout similar to the dual Watchlist layout "Sub Industry Display" that has one Watchlist displaying all Mutual Funds and another Watchlist that only displays the Mutual Funds in the same Category as the Active Symbol.

I've shared a version of this type of Layout. If you want to take a look:

Select Share | Layouts.
Type douga98-30267 in the Search line and select Search.
Select the douga98-30267 Layout.
Select Open.

It would be theoretically possible to create a Watchlist with one Mutual Fund from each Category for use as the Active Watchlist in the left Watchlist. You could even delete the Symbol Column if desired to only view the Categories in that Watchlist. If one of these symbols changed Categories or was removed from the system however, it would ruin your Category List (as it would either have a duplicate or no longer be comprehensive).

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
douga98
Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:53:24 PM
Thanks. I downloaded the layout. Did you mean to have Nasdaq 100 as Main Watchlist and Sub Industry as the other.

I like both of you suggestions. Can you walk me through how to make the layout to:

1) Mutual funds in the My watchlist and all the funds in that catagory in Main watchlist or visversa.

2)  I can do your second suggestion by simply having a watchlist with one mutual fund per catagory rather than all mutual funds as you suggested.

I have made some changes to Block Diagrams but nothing like this. I think I could follow instructions or a layout with a list of what you did.
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:15:02 AM

Worden Trainer

I think I did not select Save when given the option before sharing my Layout (it appears to have just been the original Sub Industry Display Layout instead). I have shared the correct Layout now.

I have also Shared a Watchlist called Fund Categories that should contain one Mutual Fund from each Fund Category at the time it was created (but there are no guarantees that this was actually the case since I created it by hand). This Watchlist will not be re-created or maintained beyond its initial creation.

You can load the Layout I Shared, but modifying the original Sub Industry Display Layout does not involve too many steps.

- Delete the Volume Bars Pane (click on X in upper left hand corner of the Pane).
- Right-click in the area of the right Watchlist where the symbols are actually displayed and select Block Diagram.
- Right-click on the Hemscott Sub Industry Block and select Replace | Fund Category | OK.
- Change the Active Watchlist on the left to All Mutual Funds and select a Symbol.
- Right-click in the Column Header section of the left Watchlist and select New Column | Text.
- Right-click on this new Column Header and select Block Diagram.
- Left-click and drag on the output of the Column Symbol Block and select Select Block & Connect | Fund Category.
- Left-click and drag on the output of the Fund Category Block and select Select Block & Connect | WatchList Name.
- Connect the output of the WatchList Name Block to the Column Data Block.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles