Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

How to draw a value line on a chart template Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
robertswj
Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:14:27 PM
Newbie here. I have created several new chart templates with various indicators. How do I draw a permanent horizonal line at specific values, such as the value "50" for the RSI indicator or the value "25" for the ADX indicator. I want to visually see when the indicator crosses the value line. I'm sure that the answer is easy, but I can't find it.
brexxx
Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:33:39 PM
Right-click in the desired indicator pane.
Select "Add Chart Tool"
Select "Value Pointer"
Right-click on the newly plotted line and select "Properties."
Among the property options (Right-hand side) Set the desired value in "Value to draw line at." (25, using your ADX example)
If you would like to be able to drag the value pointer, leave "Allow Drag" set to "True."
If you wish for its value to remain constant, set "Allow drag" to "False."
Let me know if I can clarify somthing better.
robertswj
Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:42:40 PM
Thanks, BREXX, for your attempt to help me, but I feel like you and I have totally different programs. When I right click on the desired indicator pane, I do not get an "Add Chart Tool" option. For that reason, I can't follow through with any of your other instructions. I am a Gold subscriber to Telechart 2007. Maybe the Platinum subscriber has more options. Any comment from a Worden trainer??
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:32:47 AM

Worden Trainer

robertswj,
The answer provided by brexxx would work in Blocks, but not in TeleChart (so you do, in fact, have totally different programs).

In TeleChart, it is possible to add lines at specific percentages of the way up through the chart, but I do not know of a practical method of doing so for arbitrary values. You can uncheck visible for the following indicators to get lines at the specified percentages of the chart range.

- Wilder's RSI: 30 and 70
- Stochastics: 20 and 80
- Time Segmented Volume (TSV): 50 (it's actually the zero line)

It is also possible to add lines at 25 and 75 by adding a Custom Indicator, but the lines disappear if a Custom Indicator is not actually being visibly plotted.

This works fairly well for indicators with fixed ranges if you are satisfied with these values. It will not work for indicators like ADX where the range can vary or if you need lines at different levels however.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles