Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

10 dayMA of the ATR Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
flbaileys
Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 10:03:09 PM
Dear Support

I have endeavored to write a formula to calculate a 10 day MA of the ATR, and thought I had it until I found the second formula from a 3/19/07 discussion topic. It is below my original formula and was taken from a 3/19/07 discussion by Bruce L.

(((H - L ) + (H - C1 ) + (L - C1 )) + ((H1 - L1 ) + (H1 - C2 ) + (L1 - C2 )) + ((H2 - L2 ) + (H2 - C3 ) + (L2 - C3 )) + ((H3 - L3 ) + (H3 - C4 ) + (L3 - C4 )) + ((H4 - L4) + (H4 - C5) + (L4 - C5)) + ((H5 - L5) + (H5 - C6) + (L5 - C6)) + ((H6 - L6) + (H6 - C7) + (L6 - C7)) + ((H7 - L7) + (H7 - C8) + (L7 - C8)) + ((H8 - L8) + (H8 - C9) + (L8 - C9)) + ((H9 - L9) + (H9 - C10) + (L9 - C10))) / 10
My answer to the above as of 4/9/07 using IBM is 1.038

(H - L) + ABS(H - C1 + ABS(L - C1) ) / 2
the answer to the above as of 4/9/07 by a test of IBM 1.23

Can you terll me what I am missing?

Thanks

FL Baileys
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 10:14:32 PM

Worden Trainer

A fairly detailed explanation of True Range (TR) and Average True Range (ATR) is found in the following topic:

Sir Old Viking Trader and PCFs

The explanation is done using an Average Period of 10, so you should be able to just cut and paste whichever formula you decide best meets your needs. If you decide you actually want a Moving Average of the Average True Range after reading through the referenced topic, we can provide that as well, but we will need to know the period and type of ATR to use as a base in addition to type of Moving Average you wish to apply to the ATR.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
flbaileys
Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 10:48:00 PM
Thanks Bruce,

I am trying to follow the things that Sir Viking Trader wrote about on 4/5/07. I wanted to follow it along side of my own methods and see what the difference would amount to.

By the way what does How to create a Personal Criteria Forumula (PCF) stand for?

Thanks for the help
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:12:50 AM

Worden Trainer

Since what appears on my screen when I view your post contains both PCF and what it stand for, Personal Criteria Formula, I'm going to assume you are using the Edit or Quote button and looking at a post. You've typed out a shortcut for:

<a href='http://www.worden.com/training/default.aspx?g=posts&t=83'>How to create a Personal Criteria Forumula (PCF)</a>

It is constructed by placing tid=, with the topic ID at the end (which appears in the URL of a topic) in square brackets.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles