Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Volatility,ETC. Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
randomteeshot
Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2007 4:51:58 PM
I am potentially a returning customer. You certainly have introduced a lot of improvements to your product since I last looked at it several years ago However, my trial subscription runs out in about a week. If you can provide these things for me, I will continue my subscription.

I need an appropriate indication of volatility to add to my database of investment results(according to a set of buy and sell rules)for "breakout" purchase candidates obtained from IBD and Daily Graphs. I have compiled this information for the past 3 years. I would like to access a given stock, go back to the time it "broke out" and calculate a volatility indication for that particular day. A volatility indication should change every day rather than staying the same like the volatility statistic that can be added to a blank field on your graphs. Additionally, I have a problem with using a statistic when I don't know how it was calculated. Please tell me how to find the definition or formula and indicate how it can be calculated for days in the past.

For my requirements, the best volatility statistic would be calculated each day from data collected for a particular stock during the previous 20 days. It would equal the standard deviation of closing price measured from points on a regression line (for closing prices over the previous 20 days). The standard deviation would be expressed as a % of the mean closing price during the 20 day period. Please tell me if the Worden system can do this.

Additionally, I have been reading (and enjoying) the daily market commentaries. One of these refers a discussion of Sir Separate Tables on volatility. Please tell me how I can find this discussion.

Gerry Metcalf
(email removed by moderator)
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, January 22, 2007 1:37:28 PM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (randomteeshot)
A volatility indication should change every day rather than staying the same like the volatility statistic that can be added to a blank field on your graphs. Additionally, I have a problem with using a statistic when I don't know how it was calculated. Please tell me how to find the definition or formula and indicate how it can be calculated for days in the past.

You may wish to review the following:

Volatility as per TC2005

QUOTE (randomteeshot)
For my requirements, the best volatility statistic would be calculated each day from data collected for a particular stock during the previous 20 days. It would equal the standard deviation of closing price measured from points on a regression line (for closing prices over the previous 20 days). The standard deviation would be expressed as a % of the mean closing price during the 20 day period.

Please try the following:

100 * (SQR(((C ^ 2 + C1 ^ 2 + C2 ^ 2 + C3 ^ 2 + C4 ^ 2 + C5 ^ 2 + C6 ^ 2 + C7 ^ 2 + C8 ^ 2 + C9 ^ 2 + C10 ^ 2 + C11 ^ 2 + C12 ^ 2 + C13 ^ 2 + C14 ^ 2 + C15 ^ 2 + C16 ^ 2 + C17 ^ 2 + C18 ^ 2 + C19 ^ 2) / 20 - AVGC20 ^ 2) - 12 * (((0 * C0 + 1 * C1 + 2 * C2 + 3 * C3 + 4 * C4 + 5 * C5 + 6 * C6 + 7 * C7 + 8 * C8 + 9 * C9 + 10 * C10 + 11 * C11 + 12 * C12 + 13 * C13 + 14 * C14 + 15 * C15 + 16 * C16 + 17 * C17 + 18 * C18 + 19 * C19) / 20 - (20 - 1) * AVGC20 / 2) ^ 2) / (20 ^ 2 - 1))) / AVGC20

QUOTE (randomteeshot)
Additionally, I have been reading (and enjoying) the daily market commentaries. One of these refers a discussion of Sir Separate Tables on volatility. Please tell me how I can find this discussion.

Search for "Sir Separate Tables" in the Worden Report Archive. It's the Worden Report from Friday, October 20,2006, so it is probably still in your copy of TeleChart.

You may wish to review the following:

>>>>> Worden Report Searchable Archive Link <<<<<<
Need help writing a PCF for r-squared
Modelling Bollinger Bands (& Standard Deviation) in a TC PCF
How to create a Personal Criteria Forumula (PCF)
Definitions of all built in scanning and sorting criteria
Handy PCF example formulas to help you learn the syntax of PCFs!

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles