Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

% Distance above 50dma Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
alindsley
Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:09:42 PM

In SF5 I would like to be able to look at a chart and have something tell me the distance price is above or below the 50dsma. Can you explain how to do that step by step or share a chart please.

TIA
art
bobre1
Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:24:34 PM
Just click on the price history, drag it, and drop it on the moving average.

Select Plot Comparison -> Difference.

Bob
alindsley
Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:00:59 PM

That's slick bobre1. Thank you very much. So that number on the right is in percentage? I assume so. So then, I dragged it up to the watchlist and selected data column. There is also a selection which says percentage change. What is that number showing I wonder?

thanks again
Art
bobre1
Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:13:06 PM
You're welcome Art.

If you select Plot Comparison -> Difference, the scale indicates actualy dollars above and below the moving average.

If you select Plot Comparison -> Ratio, the number is just that, a ratio. So if the value was 1.04, then price would be 1.04 times the moving average value.  This is basically a percentage; it indicates that price is 4% higher than the moving average value.

Bob
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:18:36 PM

Worden Trainer

alindsley,
It is just displaying Price History minus its Moving Average. This is not a Percent Difference. To get a Percent Difference, you would need to take that result and divide it by the Moving Average (and then multiply it by 100 to get this displayed as a %).

So Drag and Drop the Difference Plot onto the Moving Average and select Plot Comparison | Ratio. Then left-click on the Scale for the Ratio and select Edit and add a % sign to the right of the 0.00 in the Number Format.

If you use it as a WatchList Column, you would need to change it to a % as well by right-clicking on the WatchList Column Header and selecting Properties so you can adjust the Number Format to add the % sign to the right of the 0.00.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
alindsley
Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:24:25 PM

Got it Bruce. Thanks loads for the xtra help. Twix U & bobre I'm set to go on this.
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:27:13 PM

Worden Trainer

alindsley,
You're welcome. Our pleasure.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles